Highlighted
New Contributor

What should you keep in mind when creating your content , 

How can we make sure our content does more than just exist, 

0 Upvotes
6 Replies 6
Regular Advisor | Gold Partner | HubSpot Certified Trainer

Hey @patriciamataga,

Wow...this is a big question! And to be honest, probably one that not enough people ask before they throw content out there.

I'm going to summarize my answer into as short of an answer as possible:

• Have a really, really good understanding of your buyer (persona and journey) - I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH.
  • Determine what content will actually provide value to your buyer.
  • Does that content already exist  - probably - but can you make it easier to find and better? If it's a really crowded space, it will be more difficult, but you won't get very far by creating the same content that's already consuming the first 3 pages of search results.
  • Put effort into content creation. Quality over quantity.
  • Think topical and try to plan in advance. If you haven't done research on pillar content/pillar strategies, I would suggest doing so: https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/content-marketing-strategy
  • Inspect and adapt. Look at the data...is it working? What can be fixed? How can you optimize content that already exists?

OK, I'm going to stop here so I don't get too long winded.

Let me know if you'd like to hop on a call to discuss further. I'd be happy to be a sounding board as you think through this.

Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

Josh Curcio

We help tier 1 & 2 manufacturers generate leads!
HubSpot Gold Partner & HubSpot Certified Trainer

Community Thought Leader

2000px-Ok_sign_font_awesomeDid my post help answer your query?

Help the Community by marking it as SOLVED

Q: How can we make sure our content does more than just exist?

Short A: Promote it.

Longer A:

Everything @Josh said, plus promote ... promote ... promote. We like LinkedIn for B2B promotions and, obviously, Facebook and others for B2C. But produced and promoted video content seems to do well across B2B/B2C lines, so ...

Here's just one great example of a single person producing their own video content well enough to rival the majors -- (warning ... this girl is a pro and she ROCKS LinkedIn) -- Hire Me Video (YouTube) -- earned nearly a million views on LinkedIn.

Publishing great content without promotion is like pressing the mute button on your message -- not matter how great the content is, no one gets to hear it. The Kevin Costner days of, 'if you build it, they will come' are long gone.

Hope that helps.

Your Remote HubSpot Partner

Please tag @MFJLabs if you'd like me to respond.

Hope that helps.

Best,
Frank

MFrankJohnson-dot-com-HubSpot-Community-banner-gif-v20190817

0 Upvotes

Hi Patricia

We've actually written a blog article titled "How to be a Tech Company with a Killer Content Marketing Strategy" that I think you might be interested in. Check it out! Cat Very Happy

New Contributor

Hi Patricia,

it's very difficult to answer it! I think this is the biggest question in our work!

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

your content should be unique, it must solve the problem of some larger public, who is looking for solution of some specific need, target hot topics of the market search on them and do your working on it.

Regular Contributor | Diamond Partner

That's a good question because a lot of people just create content so that it exists. In terms of actually benefiting the business in any way, most content fall short. It fails to accumulate any traffic at all and takes up space, often generating broken links, duplicate content, or just another signal to Google that's your content isn't useful.

Being intentional about contents and search engine optimization doesn't have to be super complicated. Start off with monthly or quarterly theme. What that means is that plan out a main topic that you will write about for that month. During that month, choose subtopics that you can write about. Seo keyword research is perceived to be this complicated process. But it essentially boils down to finding out what relevant keywords have search volume that can bring in business. Choose keywords that are less competitive, which are usually the ones with less search volume and more words in them, and make sure that this keywords that it is in your title and sprinkling naturally a few times in your post. Don't insert it too many times, otherwise they will look unnatural and Google penalizes that.

-With love, Will Chou