Content Strategy & SEO

abourdon
Colaborador(a)

Consequences to changing my default domain for File Manager?

resolver

Admins, feel free to move this to another category if appropriate.

Community, here's my question... Is there a meaningful credibility (and thus CTR) advantage to changing my default domain for email/LP links from cdn2.hubspot.com to something mirroring my "real" website domain (ie info.mydomain.com)? I'm not sure if I'm an "average" user anymore (I know too much!), but when I see some-random-subdomain.someCDN.com, I question how accurate/credible/safe it is.

Is there something to this, or am I just over thinking things? If chaning the default domain is worthwhile for driving CTR and credibility, will I lose the speed benefits of the Hubspot CDN?

I know that per https://knowledge.hubspot.com/cos-general/copy-and-update-the-url-of-files-uploaded-to-the-file-mana..., I would need to manually change a good number of links on landing pages, so I'm starting out by seeing if it's even worth doing.

0 Avaliação positiva
1 Solução aceita
Phil_Vallender
Solução
Participante de valor | Parceiro Diamante

resolver

Hi @abourdon 

I don't think changing the hosting domain will have a measurable impact on your click through rate, but it does, in my opinion, increase the credibility of your site - especially when visitors are viewing downloadable files. Its much better aesthetically to have these on your domain rather than the HubSpot one. 

By changing it, you don't lose access to the benefits of the CDN, and old links will not break, so you don't even have to go back and update them if you don't want to. 

I would recommend switching, for appearances sake alone. 

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

Exibir solução no post original

4 Respostas 4
Phil_Vallender
Solução

resolver

Hi @abourdon 

I don't think changing the hosting domain will have a measurable impact on your click through rate, but it does, in my opinion, increase the credibility of your site - especially when visitors are viewing downloadable files. Its much better aesthetically to have these on your domain rather than the HubSpot one. 

By changing it, you don't lose access to the benefits of the CDN, and old links will not break, so you don't even have to go back and update them if you don't want to. 

I would recommend switching, for appearances sake alone. 

Hope this helps.

abourdon
Colaborador(a)

resolver

Hi Phil, thanks for the response. Per the note on the documentation page under "Update your file manager's default hosting domain", it says that all existing assets will need to be manually updated; the changes would only affect newly created assets going forward. Is this accurate?

0 Avaliação positiva
Phil_Vallender

resolver

Hi @abourdon 

It is accurate - but it means that previsouly inserted files and assets will retain their HubSpot CDN url and not update to the branded automatically. They will not break and will continue to load though. 

Hope this helps.

abourdon
Colaborador(a)

resolver

OK. So in other words, the site won't break after the transition, but I would still need to go back and update manually to get the effect I want.

0 Avaliação positiva