Content Strategy & SEO

AngHar

Canonical Tag and Content Pillar

SOLVE

I have a content pillar strategy made with blog posts. I'm a MOZ customer and I can see all of my hhtps://blog. pages are missing the cannonical tag. From why I understand this is a duplicated content issue where google crawl isn't sure which page to post first. I found multiple suggestions as to what to do but wanted some feedback first:

- Make the canonical tag the same url of that particular blog

- Make the canonical Tag the url of the pillar page to which that particular blog is linked 

PS: I have the configuration of this as Hubspot suggest in: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/cos-blog/how-does-hubspot-address-duplicate-conte...

According to MOZ I need to solve this, but I'm not sure what's the best practice. Haven't found much info, from those two options which one should I do???

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

_hubspot-button-accept-as-solution-gif-v00.gif

Help other HubSpot searchers find this post quickly by accepting this solution today.

Q: I'm a MOZ customer and I can see all of my hhtps://blog. pages are missing the cannonical tag. Should I do A or B ??

-a- Make the canonical tag the same url of that particular blog

-b- Make the canonical Tag the url of the pillar page to which that particular blog is linked

Short A: n/a

Longer A:

[Love Moz. Miss Rand even though it's only been a month since his last WBF.]

Have you checked the page source of the blog posts in question to make sure this behavior isn't limited to just a few bad apples? If so, modify the cannonical url setting per blog post.

(see image)

hubspot-blog-post-cannonical-url-setting.png

Otherwise, use the HubSpot recommended default (option 'a') unless you have a very specific purpose for doing otherwise -- e.g., you've basically copied your pillar page content to your blog posts or vise versa. (not recommended)

Always happy to help you build on HubSpot.

Best,
Frank

hubspot-solutions-signature-mfrankjohnson-v03.png

www.MFrankJohnson.com

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
1 Reply 1
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

_hubspot-button-accept-as-solution-gif-v00.gif

Help other HubSpot searchers find this post quickly by accepting this solution today.

Q: I'm a MOZ customer and I can see all of my hhtps://blog. pages are missing the cannonical tag. Should I do A or B ??

-a- Make the canonical tag the same url of that particular blog

-b- Make the canonical Tag the url of the pillar page to which that particular blog is linked

Short A: n/a

Longer A:

[Love Moz. Miss Rand even though it's only been a month since his last WBF.]

Have you checked the page source of the blog posts in question to make sure this behavior isn't limited to just a few bad apples? If so, modify the cannonical url setting per blog post.

(see image)

hubspot-blog-post-cannonical-url-setting.png

Otherwise, use the HubSpot recommended default (option 'a') unless you have a very specific purpose for doing otherwise -- e.g., you've basically copied your pillar page content to your blog posts or vise versa. (not recommended)

Always happy to help you build on HubSpot.

Best,
Frank

hubspot-solutions-signature-mfrankjohnson-v03.png

www.MFrankJohnson.com

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes