Content Strategy & SEO

aalvarado
Contributor

Best practices: Should landing pages that are sub-topics link back to the pillar page?

SOLVE

Should landing pages that are sub-topics link back to the pillar page?

Currently, I have a pillar page that links to the landing page for each sub-topic that is gated. When someone submits the form, they go to the content page. I have a link back to the pillar page on the content page.

My question arises from the optimization section for the landing pages encouraging us to add a link back to the pillar pages; however, I thought for landing pages, we don't want other links or navigation.

So, should I add a link to the pillar page from my landing pages?

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
KTownsend
Solution
Top Contributor | Elite Partner

Best practices: Should landing pages that are sub-topics link back to the pillar page?

SOLVE

Hi! 

I probably wouldn't recommend linking to your pillar pages from your landing pages, as this may encourage people to navigate away from the landing page, which may make them less likely to convert.

However, it's definitely a great idea to link to landing pages from a pillar page - this is great for SE) and can encourage visitors to convert. It may also increase the duration of their sessions on your site.

Hope this helps!

Katie Townsend - Inbound Executive at BBD Boom

Katie Townsend - Acquisition Consultant at BBD Boom

View solution in original post

Daniel_Bleich
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi,

Yes adding a link on the landing page itself to the pillar page is not recommended also becasue you don't want to make back and forth linking between pages which may confuse users and search engines.

However, the best practice would be to re-direct to a landing page after they convert which has a link to the content asset to download (if it is downloadable) and also links to further reading which should also contain the pillar page.

If the asset is downloadable you should also link inside to the pillar page to strengthen it.

Daniel Bleichman
Marketing | AudioCodes

Danielbleichman@gmail.com
Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
webdew
Guide | Diamond Partner
Guide | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @aalvarado 

Landing Pages are different from any other page because they are campaign-specific with no website navigation. A landing page with a link back to the pillar page is not recommended because it will not do the job that it is supposed to do. It may affect your conversion goals. 

Refer to this blog to understand the relationship between landing pages and pillar pages in detail: https://blog.hubspot.com/customers/relationship-between-landing-pages-pillar-pages 

Daniel_Bleich
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi,

Yes adding a link on the landing page itself to the pillar page is not recommended also becasue you don't want to make back and forth linking between pages which may confuse users and search engines.

However, the best practice would be to re-direct to a landing page after they convert which has a link to the content asset to download (if it is downloadable) and also links to further reading which should also contain the pillar page.

If the asset is downloadable you should also link inside to the pillar page to strengthen it.

Daniel Bleichman
Marketing | AudioCodes

Danielbleichman@gmail.com
Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
rikkilear

SOLVE

I agree with Katie. I wouldn't recommend adding links away from your landing pages (as it'll take the focus away from conversion) even if there is a topical / SEO benefit to doing so.

----------------------

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution.

Full HubSpot agency: https://www.digital22.com/

Free HubSpot Training: https://www.digital22.com/free-2021-training

KTownsend
Solution

SOLVE

Hi! 

I probably wouldn't recommend linking to your pillar pages from your landing pages, as this may encourage people to navigate away from the landing page, which may make them less likely to convert.

However, it's definitely a great idea to link to landing pages from a pillar page - this is great for SE) and can encourage visitors to convert. It may also increase the duration of their sessions on your site.

Hope this helps!

Katie Townsend - Inbound Executive at BBD Boom

Katie Townsend - Acquisition Consultant at BBD Boom
sharonlicari
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @aalvarado 

Thank you for reaching out!

I think the following articles could be a good point to start:

Understanding the Relationship Between Landing Pages and Pillar Pages

What Is a Pillar Page? (And Why It Matters For Your SEO Strategy)

Topics, pillar pages, and subtopic keywords

I'll tag a few subject experts that can share their thoughts with you.

Hey @rikkilear @JonPayne @Daniel_Bleich do you have any recommendations about this?

Thanks & Happy Friday

Sharon

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !