CMS Development

dennisedson
Equipo de producto de HubSpot

HubSpot Community Developer Show | SEO with Rikki Lear of Digital 22

Hey friends! 

Episode 2, Email with Alyssa Wilie of Lynton Web is in the books and we are turning to our next topic, SEO which I will be the first to admit is not my strongest capability so I am going to be learning a lot this time.

To school me, I will be joined by some incredibly gifted people.  Rikki Lear, @rikkilear is Founder and Director at Digital 22 bringing to the table a wealth of experience in marketing. 

Victor Pan,, @VictorPan , - Principle Marketer atHubSpot, currently working on technical SEO.  Previously Search Director at Catalyst Digital, managing multi-million dollar ad budgets P&G's oral care brands (e.g. Crest, Oral-B, Fixodent) and executing a 7-sites-to-1 "migration" with 0 traffic loss.

No animals were harmed in the process.

Start-up grunt at WordStream, a PPC SaaS company which was acquired by Gannett Co. (US News), earning enough media mentions to rank for almost any online marketing search terms.

Last, and certainly not least, AJ LaPorte, @AJLaPorte , is a Senior Developer Advocate at HubSpot, when not waxing poetic on SEO, he can be found under a pile of his twins, dreaming of the fjords of Norway. 

@rikkilear recently did an AMA on SEO in the Community and I am going to move that conversation over here.  A lot of good questions have already been asked and I can't wait to read more of your questions! 

30 Respuestas 30
rohansdeeson
Colaborador líder

When is this?

0 Me gusta
rikkilear
Colaborador líder | Partner nivel Elite

We are recording it tomorrow! 👏

----------------------

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution.

Full HubSpot agency: https://www.digital22.com/

Free HubSpot Training: https://www.digital22.com/free-2021-training

0 Me gusta
dennisedson

@Bryantworks , @Kevin-C , @Anonymous , @daveroma, @rohansdeeson 

Ant specific aspects you would like us to cover in the show?

0 Me gusta
alyssamwilie
Experto reconocido | Partner nivel Elite
Experto reconocido | Partner nivel Elite

@rikkilear Would love to hear some tips on how to determine when to use structured data. Do you have any sort of system for going through a website and figuring out where and what schema would be useful? In Hubspot do you mostly use inline structured data or JSON schema? If using JSON schema where in templates is it best to place it?

Looking forward to watching the podcast!

If this answer solved your question, please mark it as the solution.

Alyssa Wilie Profile Image

Alyssa Wilie

Web Developerat Lynton

Learn HubL | Get Marketing Insights

HubSpot Elite Solutions Partner
Lynton's HubSpot theme Rubric now available. Click to download.
rikkilear

Hey Alyssa,

Great question. I'll be happy to chat about what structure data should be used and where (sneak peak: I mainly Google to see what is showing in Google for the board types of keywords we are looking to target for that page - pretty simple but help understand what is worth investing in).

Inline structured data v JSON schema - that one is above my technical area of expertise but hopefully one of the other folks on the show can help you with it 😁

----------------------

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution.

0 Me gusta
rikkilear

Can't wait to take part in the show 👏👏👏

----------------------

rikkilear

Hey, I’m Rikki from Digital 22 and I’ll be running an AMA about SEO.

I started working in SEO 11 years ago as an in house Digital Marketer. One of my first tasks in that role was to update keywords, title tags, meta descriptions and on page content for 50,000 pages on an ecommerce site. It was a HUGE task but I loved it. I loved doing something that many times I felt like an expert in it and I loved the growth the company saw as a result (nearly £2m in annual revenue was attributed to it in year one 😲).

Since then I’ve run Digital 22, a top tier HubSpot agency, for the last 8 years. In that role I’ve been involved in SEO for over 160 companies.

This ask me anything is all about SEO and can cover the full range of SEO topics: Technical foundations, On-page optimization and Domain authority building (link earning). These can be very specific questions about your website’s SEO or overall industry trends.

Some of the most popular questions I get asked to help get your ideas flowing:

• What’s the best way to attract links in 2021?
  • What are the most common technical SEO mistakes to avoid?
  • What tools do you use for on-page optimization?

Can’t wait to chat about SEO!

Ask your question below to join in...

----------------------

Crystal_Hopper
Asesor destacado

Hi @rikkilear! Thank you for doing this AMA.

I work in a geographic area that is considered to be very behind the times when it comes to anything in the realm of "digital" marketing. My experience in this area is that "SEO" is more a buzzword and a checkbox to mark than an actual strategy or tactic. Where do you suggest a client start putting in effort to improve their SEO so they get visible outcomes quickly and start to grow their understanding of this concept and what it can do for their business?

Did my post solve the questions or challenge? Please mark it as a solution for others to find.
TonyDowling
Colaborador | Partner nivel Diamond

Hi Rikki! 

Thanks for offering your advice!

Quick one - I was in a conversation with an SEO who said that 'fresh' content is higher ranked than any other. I asked him how that would relate to what I understand as evergreen content. As in, all the views, and links that content will have garnered over time. He says that event evergreen content benefits from being 'freshened' and that 'old' stuff drops down the rankings... Any thoughts? 

rikkilear

Hey Tony,

Great question.

From experience content does 'decay' i.e. move down the rankings over time and therefore gets less traffic if it isn't updated. However, the important factor here to consider is the topic. It all ties back to satisfying the user and that's a good way to think of it. Take two examples of evergreen content:

- 'Top 10 best laptops for gaming' - that is a piece that is going to need to be updated monthly to stay relevant as the technology changes so quickly that a blog from a year ago on the subject isn't going to satisfy the user's query.

- 'Types of management styles' - the management styles from many years ago are still used as viable options today. It's a slow-moving, somewhat theoretical, subject which would benefit more from depth and authority than freshness. A blog from 5 years ago on the subject could easily still rank highly.

In fact, let me Google these two and see if this holds true:

Thankfully they do 😅

Screenshot.png

Screenshot (1).png

----------------------

TonyDowling

Thanks Rikki, thats great!

LloydM
Participante

Rikki,

We're in the electronic health record or EHR business. We're resellers for two types of EHRs. One is for our older legacy product and one is for our newer cloud based product. We frequently will write a post and publish it on both blogs, with everything the same (content, title, meta description etc) We're getting duplicate content warnings as a result.

Is this hurting our SEO? if yes can we just change the title and Meta description?

Thanks again! Lloyd

rikkilear

Hey Llyod,

That's a really common question in those types of spaces so you aren't alone in that.

I'm going to assume for this answer that they are on different root domains (eg www.XYZ1.com  and www.XYZ2.com) for this answer so correct me if I am wrong.

If you are doing it on a large scale it could hurt the domain which is secondary posting it, this is because in Google's eyes you could simply be stealing someone else's content and reposting as your own. It's an unlikely scenario but one to be careful of.

What I would say though is you are very unlikely to get any SEO benefit, ie organic traffic, from copying and pasting a blog from one site to another. One of those sites will be indexed as the primary source and it's likely the second posting site of the content will be largely ignored.

Changing the meta title and description of the content when reposting won't really help. Google is looking to rank unique content in each of the positions on the listings page so to get the actual benefits on both sites you need two unique pieces.

There are of course other benefits to having the pieces of both sites if you ignore SEO - social sharing, email marketing etc are all unaffected by the above and they could benefit from using the articles in the strategy for both companies / websites.

----------------------

LloydM
Participante

Hi Rikki;

What's the ideal Meta description length for a blog post? Finding the HS suggested limit of 155 constraining and have seen other sources say 300-350 characters is ideal. What are your thoughts?

Thank you, Lloyd

JGuberow
Miembro

Hi,

This week I saw a new SEO category in the SEO tool called 'Performance' and I'm seeing a large number of pages now being flagged for 'Delay loading images that appear below the fold.' There isn't a recommendation that I can find readily available for how to solve this. What would you recommend? Does this have to do with the Web Core Vitals Google algo change coming later this year? Thanks!

rikkilear

Hey,

As Google push for website performance and thus make it part of the ranking Algorithm there are indeed a lot more performance based flags / warnings showing in SEO tools. Which I think is a win for everyone to be honest.

In terms of this particular flag 'Delay loading images that appear below the fold' it's referring to the site loading images which are offscreen during the initial request. These images are unneeded as the user won't be able to see them so by deferring them you can speed up that initial load time.

A lot of people achieve this by utilising lazy loading for the images below the fold. This is a good Google source on lazy loading: https://web.dev/lazy-loading-best-practices/

----------------------

jmclaren
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hey all,

I just wanted to follow up Rikki's great answer with some stuff going on at HubSpot on the performance and image lazy loading front.

Both of those features use browser-based lazy loading. Technically a developer could by choice in a custom module choose to use a different lazy loading method. We specifically recommend using browser-based lazy loading to get the biggest performance benefit.

We have a guide for developers to optimize sites for performance. Highly recommend checking it out or passing it on to developers on your team.

Jon McLaren

Sr. CMS Developer Advocate

Get started developing on the HubSpot CMS Developer Changelog
How to optimize your CMS Hub site for speed

If my reply answered your question, please mark it as a solution, to make it easier for others to find.

JGuberow
Miembro

Okay, that aligns with my research. Thank you!

PamCotton
Administrador de la comunidad
Administrador de la comunidad

Welcome new Community users, 

@cherrien @CSmith39 @CLau @CMcNay @Subroutine @CWilliams1 @DReed1 @DBusel @EmilySpx @EThompson @ERoberts 
@GJankauskas @HHickok @AMiller7 @JBower8 @JSikora123 @savuka @jeffpiperni @JReilly @Gryd 

Wanted to add you in this AMA to ask any questions about Seo to Rikki.

Thank you,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

kdieny
Participante

Rikki,

Thanks for coming on here for an AMA on SEO. I have two questions for you.

My first question relates to page architecture for site redesigns. I know that shorter URLs 'tend' to perform better than longer URLs. So let's say I have a product 'call tracking' and on my website that page is organized under 'products' in my navigation/foldering. What are the reasons I would not want the URL to be www.site.com/product/call-tracking  and I would need it to just be www.site.com/call-tracking? There could be blogs, knowledge centers, FAQs, and more on the same topic so in my eyes the /product/ component is telling me that this is the product-page but if that page was www.site.com/blog/call-tracking  then I would know that page is a blog article-page. At the same time, I do not want it to look like duplicate content so any pages with a similar page name would want to be different both in purpose and in scope. I hope that helps give context to my question and why I am uncertain about how best to define a page architecture.

My second question is a lot more self-serving based on our companies products (we are a call tracking company). We get asked all the time, "Does call tracking negatively impact my SEO?" It is a common question we handle by pointing out that search engines like Google do the same thing... and there are a lot of other reasons too. But it is true that dynamic elements in web pages can be used for good (Google Optimize, etc) and for bad (Spam, Fake Ad Clicks). What are your thoughts and opinions on all/any of this as it applies to SEO?