Content Strategy & SEO

SMie

Are backlinks still relevant in 2022?

SOLVE

The short answer is yes, but they shouldn't be your only strategy.

Although links are not the only ranking factor, they are still very important. The main difference is how you should link websites to your content.

First, you should focus on what you can control - make sure you're producing the best content possible. It may seem like a broken record now, but if you create content that provides information and adds value to the people who use it, it's much easier to get links back to it.

Second, backlink building has improved. As we've often heard, Google's algorithms are still focused on choosing the best tool for the job when someone searches. In 2022, building backlinks should not be an isolated activity. Try answering other people's questions, explore partnering with other brands and companies to create blogs, videos, podcasts, whatever. That way, you both benefit from linking to each other's sites. We are now seeing more and more brand collaboration and influencer activity, and the same logic is useful to apply to backlink building.

2 Accepted solutions
danmoyle
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

SOLVE

It's a great question, especially as businesses build on social and may not be that interested in websites (which for the record I would advise against - both is better than "or"). A few resources I trust include: 

I like your point that "building backlinks should not be an isolated activity." It's not just one effort that brings us success, but many steps. Cheers! 

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/

View solution in original post

Jnix284
Solution

SOLVE

@SMie thanks for starting the conversation around backlinks - this is a challenging topic for many marketers because it is largely dependent on your ability to build relationships and generate links from relevant domains. 

The resources @danmoyle links to are a great place to start for anyone new to backlinks 🙂

While domain authority doesn't direclty impact your ranking, the number of backlinks to a topic does impact the SERPs.

Just like every relationship you are trying to build, when it comes to backlinks you often need to give more than you receive, especially in the beginning.

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Jnix284
Solution

SOLVE

@SMie thanks for starting the conversation around backlinks - this is a challenging topic for many marketers because it is largely dependent on your ability to build relationships and generate links from relevant domains. 

The resources @danmoyle links to are a great place to start for anyone new to backlinks 🙂

While domain authority doesn't direclty impact your ranking, the number of backlinks to a topic does impact the SERPs.

Just like every relationship you are trying to build, when it comes to backlinks you often need to give more than you receive, especially in the beginning.

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

danmoyle
Solution

SOLVE

It's a great question, especially as businesses build on social and may not be that interested in websites (which for the record I would advise against - both is better than "or"). A few resources I trust include: 

I like your point that "building backlinks should not be an isolated activity." It's not just one effort that brings us success, but many steps. Cheers! 

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/
SShabhai

SOLVE

Bcklinks have become a huge business. With my experience more than 70% of information about SEO on google is wrong and misleading and most of them is written by seo websites to sell their plans. 

I would like to share a recent story about backlinks. On my website forum some spammers wrote posts with links and gave those posts hundreds of backlinks in one day, suddenly that post ranked no 1 in my GSC and started recieving thousands of click from google. So with that we can say people can still manipulate google with backlinks, this happened around july 2023. I deleted those posts as they were spam can hurt my website seo and reputation. 

0 Upvotes