Content Marketing

kara_susvilla
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

What's your creative process?

Having a process also allows you to think of ideas that may not be easily apparent. What's one thing you do to help come up with new ideas? How can you incorporate this into a repeatable framework (for yourself as well as those you collaborate with)?

*To learn more about this, check out the Generating Content Ideas lesson via HubSpot Academy. 

2,210 Replies 2,210
HamdaJalled

Coming up with new ideas depends on framework I'm working in, like if it's about finding solutions for daily life issues, I try to be quick and find the fastest and most efficient ways to deal with them, if it's about university projects or homework, I give more time to think about ideas that can be implemented repeatedly as well as try to improve on them in every chance possible.

0 Upvotes
MickeyP
Contributor

I've never really considered it before now. I tend to start with lists and then organize those into groups that can be later fleshed out into something more. Most of the content I write is emails, so I also have to think visually and much as linguistically. I'm constantly looking at the emails I receive for ideas on structure and where a headline might work better. I generally find that when I'm struggling with a topic it's best to move onto a physical task so that my brain slightly disengages, that's when i find new perspective and connections I may not have noticed previously.

TSpalsbury

My creative process is not formal at all. I find creativity comes to me when I'm least expecting it, but mostly when I'm not trying so hard. I love to consume through reading, listening to podcasts and watching short videos on different topics. I also write short stories that have nothing to do with work and everything to do with a creative outlet. 

I usually use my notes app to collect ideas or I use onenote if I'm at my computer. 

If I'm trying to work something out for a specific deadline or a new project, I hand write/map it out and as I'm a very visual person and need to see things laid out before I start writing. 

GamalJastram

My creative process spans the entire day through my routine. I wake up at 6, and for the next hour or so, while alone I listen to either music, a podcast chapter or an audiobook depending on the day (Yes, I have a day assigned for different things topics - one could be business or finance, the other could be a podcast about life and cautionary tales and the third could be an audiobook about self-development or just a fantasy story).  and after making and eating breakfast, I turn off that part of my mind and get to work. during this time my mind is focused but something entirely unrelated to the kind of content I need just unlocks something in my mind and ideas start flourishing. I realized that this happens recurringly at specific hours of the day and sometimes on specific days of the week. during these times, I take a pause and depending on if I am in front of my computer or not I open my OneNote app, go to my "Ideas" Notebook and free write the idea as raw as it comes to my mind so I can structure it later. 

As I always listen to music while working, I make it a point to listen to a specific set of playlists for a specific type of task for a couple of weeks and later on I recall (on-demand almost) certain ideas or connections I've had during a certain task by consciously using a modified version of the method of Loci (music-evoked autobiographical memory). And it's always worked for me. (even back in High School and University, I Studied and Read with music haha). At a specific time of the day I Take pause and go meditate for a whole hour. I clear my mind and take anything that comes and allow them to fill my imagination. And then go on with my day. When I go to bed, I do some light reading of the "ideas" section of my OneNote Notebook and then sleep. and in the morning, the cycle continues. 

KseniiaPlyska
Participant

Wow, very inspirational. I would try the same. Could you pls share podcasts sources you use? Either it's a youtube channel or spotify posting? 

0 Upvotes
DRivera4

In my creative process, I find inspiration by following accounts that match my interests and goals. Personally, I like to incorporate exercise into my routine. Listening to music while doing cardio helps me generate ideas that I then jot down.

greulyy
Contributor

One method I use to generate new ideas is by seeking a quiet space where I can listen to music or explore apps like Pinterest and VSCO for visual inspiration. The choice between music and visual browsing depends on the nature of the project I’m working on. This approach helps me immerse myself in visually appealing content and broadens my perspective, often leading to fresh ideas. I also make a habit of reading content that not only looks good but provides new knowledge and insights.

0 Upvotes
Musa79

I have experienced moments in the past where ideas flow into my mind and lost it the next day because I feel I could remember them. With this knowledge about having process in place for creating ideas, I will consider it for seamless and effective ideas creation process.

shi1234

I have a naturally automatic creative process. Ideas will usually come to my attention when I am not thinking about generating them. Also, seeing unique things, objects, pieces of art, or scenarios in real life will help me to create ideas for content.

MCoelho17
Contributor

When I intend to undertake or develop something new, I seek out places where I can find assistance in shaping my preliminary ideas. Typically, I engage in reading books and having casual conversations with people. I find that forcing the issue or directly asking for input doesn't yield much help. I maintain a positive mindset and visualize that the idea is already in my hands and realized. I meditate regularly, seeking moments of silence to foster creativity. A healthy diet is crucial; it contributes significantly to generating new ideas and overall well-being.

XWang6

One thing I do to generate new ideas is to regularly engage in brainstorming sessions. During these sessions, I set aside time to explore different topics, themes, and angles related to the content I want to create. I use various techniques such as mind mapping, free writing, and word association to stimulate creativity and uncover fresh perspectives.

To incorporate this into a repeatable framework for myself and collaborators, I would establish a schedule for regular brainstorming sessions. This could involve weekly or bi-weekly meetings dedicated specifically to generating ideas for upcoming content. During these sessions, I would encourage open communication and collaboration, inviting team members or collaborators to contribute their thoughts and suggestions.

Additionally, I would create a structured format for the brainstorming sessions to ensure efficiency and productivity. This might include setting clear objectives for each session, providing prompts or prompts to guide the discussion, and documenting all ideas generated for future reference.

By incorporating regular brainstorming sessions into the content creation process, I can foster a culture of innovation and creativity within my team or collaborators. This not only helps generate a steady stream of new ideas but also ensures that everyone feels valued and invested in the content creation process.

KatieK2

I do a brain dump, or talk with someone about my ideas. Or I find picture inspiration from the internet/ other social media postings. 

LAnderson85
Contributor

Sometimes, I talk with a friend or my husband about what I am trying to write or create (since I'm a one-person operation so far). This "thinking out loud" helps bring about that "lightbulb" moment. Regarding the process that was outlined in the lesson, I can picture myself following each step while listiing ideas on a doc to refer back to. Or I imagine a team would effectively follow this flow while recording ideas either on a white board or projected on the wall to where they can be saved. I also think some aspects of this process (particularly the gathering of raw material) would apply to the consultation phase when speaking with a client about their vision of what their content might entail. 

0 Upvotes
lqureshi8

I like to look at the idea from several different viewpoints to give me the best insight

Ashritha_S

I come up with new ideas when I particularly look at the problems and new trends in society. It helps me to bring up a new topic or idea to discuss.

VHolsinger

My creative process involves taking a small break from my laptop. I look at my bookshelf and find inspiration from the books on it. 

JZarco

One thing I do to help me come up with ideas is observing others work and tihnking in what way can it be different or improved by. And so then I'll try to recreate not the same thing, but the same concept of it. Looking at other content can be very helpful to come up eith new ideas for either your social media page, business or ad campaigns. 

LOchoa8

come up with ideas and develop from there. Edit them at the end

DGMAGNA23

I speak to my piers about their day to get an insight into the type of working they are doing, provides a valuable insight into the pain points of customers.

I read industry material, whats happening in the market we serve and write down whats relevant.

NickMorgan

I have two main strategies for coming up with ideas:

The first is just start writing things down. It can be a list, a rambling paragraph, or whatever. It stems from advice I got from a playwriting professor who encouraged students to "write the bad play first." This essentially means start writing without worrying about nuance or subtly or elegance - just get words on a page. Then as you swift through those words you're likely to discover nuggets of ideas that can be extrapolated on and refined.

The second strategy is that I schedule a couple of half-hour walks every week to just let my mind wander (it's important to no listen to music or podcasts or anything else during this time).

0 Upvotes