Content Marketing

kara_susvilla
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

What's your creative process?

Having a process also allows you to think of ideas that may not be easily apparent. What's one thing you do to help come up with new ideas? How can you incorporate this into a repeatable framework (for yourself as well as those you collaborate with)?

*To learn more about this, check out the Generating Content Ideas lesson via HubSpot Academy. 

2,170 Replies 2,170
smiles0

My creative process is researching other brands and data collected on the specific products. For example I am marketing a handbag-I want to know the science behind it and the data of how well handbags hold value over time. Taking time to digest the material by going for a walk or a run and having a good night's sleep will help the unconscous processing happen for me to have my Eureka Moment. 

NmMehrotra
Participant

Step 1 - Keep myself abreast of current affairs and general knowledge in a variety of subjects.

Step 2 - Conduct specific research

Step 3 - Take a break and do something unconnected (could be as simple as a shower or a household chore) whenever I feel stuck.

and Bingo!!!

This usually works 🙂

0 Upvotes
AEsther5

Basically my creative process is assimilating the topic first, conducting my research on the topic, then I listen to opera sounds and it just pops in.

OhCee
Participant

I typically do the research for content the night before I need to write it. Then I go to bed.

The content idea comes so easily to me by the following day because my mind has assimilated it during the night. What I love most about this process? I get to sleep!

AVerma20

Start with the main idea and framework. Consume a bunch of information and take notes. Try to make sense of it. Go back and think about the audience I'm telling the story to. Put aside until one hour before deadline and let cortisol lead me to a beautiful draft. 

AVerma20_0-1652857240260.png

DSTaylor27

Start with the main idea and framework. Consume a bunch of information and take notes. Try to make sense of it. Go back and think about the audience I'm telling the story to. Put aside until one hour before deadline and let cortisol lead me to a beautiful draft. 🙂

0 Upvotes
AExner

Stepping away from technology and giving myself the freedom and space to think. This often happens outside on my patio, listening to the nature all around me, or out for a walk. I also look for inspiration on social media - scrolling through Instragram, LinkedIn and Tik Tok.

KurtAlcantara

Steal like an artist
What I mean is taking inspirations from 5 or more different sources then merging my personality 
into one idea.
curating and creating my own unique one.
However most of my Ideas or Eureka moment happens when I'm working out at the gym, listening to podcast,
having a shower.
Then I need to take note of them

coachmuns
Participant

"Good artists borrow, great artists steal"

MasonStevenson
Member | Platinum Partner
Member | Platinum Partner

In my former professional life, I conducted many interviews. Frequently, content ideas came from the discussion themselves. There would be a piece of data the interviewee would mention that seemed unimportant, but for me, it turned out to be a spark that lit the content creation flame. I am always looking for those opportunities to turn content based on a subject matter expert to whom I spoke.

0 Upvotes
GUthman
Participant

Well, I listen to music when relaxing. 

I listen to inspirational and motivational speaker and quotes and ideas comes in.

I read books to get ideas

0 Upvotes
remosh97
Contributor

Well , I do those steps

1- Listen to music and stare at picture 

2- The ideas will come 

3- write them 

4- think about themif they need edit or develop 

5- Final touch 

CCasmir

Mostly, I get ideas from looking at things. When I'm on a journey, alone mostly, something just pops. Also in the shower, I give credit to water. 

KChantelle

One thing that I do is sit outside for a hour a day.  Looking at God's nature and creation.  I can incorporate this in my collaborations by having meetings in the park or very scenic outside locations.

0 Upvotes
TheGraceJ
Participant

Ideas pop when I interact with people. 

And also read articles, watch documentaries, movies, and shows. 

Then there's the Eureka Moment, after taking in a lot of contents that seem unrelated sometimes and then there's the "aaahhh" moment. 

0 Upvotes
Lilokado
Participant

Usually, I like to sleep on things. My ideas tend to pops early in the morning, in the wee around 4am - 7am when my mind is rested. or when im on a solo long walk just listening to music or a podcast.

0 Upvotes
sandrajadev

Since I'm also a novelist, I often experience writer's block. In order to overcome this, I pause for a while, take a quick shower, watch a movie, and sometimes read other books. And I let the unconscious processing of our minds take over. Later on, I often have that Eureka moment. Sometimes it happens while I was already writing an idea I have so I often do a rewrite.

0 Upvotes
CHennington

I like to do a lot of research before I jump into an idea (reading other blogs, YouTube videos, Wikipedia, etc.) If I feel like I'm stuck and words just won't form on the document, I try to go on a walk to clear my head.

Stitchko
Top Contributor

Ideas for writing content come from my experience and I like to add a funny note inside as a signature.

Other resources are posts from my role models regardlčess the format of the content, but most often are social media posts.

0 Upvotes
SarahSchlueter

I write down every idea that comes to mind, even if it doesn't make any sense at the time. I keep these in my phone notes or physically write it down and throw it in a folder. Every once in a while I will go through and filter it down and trascribe these into my big yellow legal pad folder that houses everything. I de-clutter my mind this way as well.

0 Upvotes
APalagano

I keep an inspiration / swipe folder. 

I also have a brain dump moment to allow for bad ideas. 

0 Upvotes