Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

gregschraff
Participant | Partner
Participant | Partner

Outbound contacts

SOLVE
The Sales team wants to track outbound campaigns. They have lists of prospects for certain verticals, e.g., retail men's shoes, that they want to load into HubSpot and monitor and track. However, most of these contacts have not opted in - the companies and target contacts have been generated manually. What is the best/cleanest way to handle this? I don't necessarily want them to get mixed with inbound leads who have opted in. Can I just create a List that defines this group? Can this list live in HubSpot/Sales/CRM as opposed to HubSpot Marketing?
0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
roisinkirby
Solution
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Outbound contacts

SOLVE

Hey @gregschraff if they opt in to receiving emails from you by filling out a form, HubSpot will create an eligble contact record for that email and they will be removed from the list. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
roisinkirby
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Outbound contacts

SOLVE

Hey @gregschraff the contact database between the CRM and Marketing tools is a shared system, but what you can do on the Marketing tool is import an opt-out list. Importing an Opt-Out list does not create contacts in your HubSpot database or count towards your billable number of contacts. Instead, it marks the email addresses on the list as ineligible to receive emails from your account.

Check out more about this feature here: How to import an opt-out list into your account

If you want to reach out to these contacts at any point: 

What you will need to do in this case is send a Permission Pass email. Full details on this can be found here: https://www.spamhaus.org/whitepapers/permissionpass/

In the copy of the email, you should mention the app that the recipients are users of and that your company acquired the app. OThose who click on the email to confirm their opt-in will then be opted in and anyone who does not take action will be opted out. Those who don't opt-in can be archived in your portal or imported asn an opt-out list (full details here). 

Let me know if you have any specific questions about Permission Pass. The gist of it is that the recipient must take action to confirm their opt in.

Hope this helps! Smiley Happy

gregschraff
Participant | Partner
Participant | Partner

Outbound contacts

SOLVE

HiRóisín

Very helpful, yes.

If they're added via an Opt Out list I understand that Permission Pass approach to make them eligible for future comminication, but what if a contact on the Opt Out list becomes a contact via an inbound channel while they are on the Opt Out list? Does that make them eligible for communication (i.e., they volunteered their contact info).

Thanks,

Greg

0 Upvotes
roisinkirby
Solution
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Outbound contacts

SOLVE

Hey @gregschraff if they opt in to receiving emails from you by filling out a form, HubSpot will create an eligble contact record for that email and they will be removed from the list. 

ndwilliams3
Key Advisor

Outbound contacts

SOLVE

@roisinkirby,

I don't think this really answers or solves the question. They're wanting to import a prospect list aka a cold lead list. They would need these to create a contact record, so calls, notes, etc can be tracked on record. The challenge is Hubspot is still functioning on an Inbound/Opt-in model for contacts. It's not possible to import a cold list for prospecting, unless you fib on the import questions saying they are opt-in. There are many sources of sales leads that are not the online form submission/explicit permission opt-in type. They don't meet the conditions of the import rules. For instance at tradeshows, you might have a prospect drop by the booth, toss you a business card and ask you to email them some info.

• These contacts are expecting to hear from my organization. True
  • This list was not purchased, rented, appended, or provided by a third party. True
  • I have a prior relationship with these contacts and have emailed them at least once within the last year. False

As you can see, they don't meet the last requirment. From a Sales/CRM standpoint, there will be a lot of leads that don't meet all the requirment. With cold lead list they may not meet any of those requirements. However, from a CRM standpoint, you need to keep track of the prospect. However, from a marketing standpoint, you would want to be excluded from you email campaigns. 

How would you even go about a permission pass campaign if you can't import or email the contact?