CRM

newrockstars
Contributor

How to I assign properties to a group of imported contacts that can be filtered?

SOLVE

Hi there,

I am trying to put labels or tags on imported contacts so that I can identify what type of contact they are while filtering. For example, how do I add a property or tag, "Dog Owner" to a contact that will distinguish them from all of the other contacts when I filter them? 

I am using the free version of Hub Spot for now.

Thanks in advance for your help!

0 Upvotes
3 Accepted solutions
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

How to I assign properties to a group of imported contacts that can be filtered?

SOLVE

Hi @newrockstars

You can create custom properties to store this kind of information. 

Once you have created the custom property in HubSpot, you can import the values as an additional column in your import file, or apply them manually to contacts in HubSpot - both individually and in bulk. 

More information here: Create custom properties

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

Phil_Vallender
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @newrockstars

Interesting questions. 

You can't create nested properties in HubSpot, unfortunately. So when it comes to recording that a contact is an artist and storing their genre, you will need two fields, one for type (artists, etc) and one for genre.

When it comes to bulk updating contacts, you have two main choices - you can either import the new data using the contact's email address to identify them, or use the bulk edit feature

The answer to your third question depends on how you obtaining and entering the contact's details. Adding the custom property to the CSV file is the easiest way if importing. 

Enterprise is a powerful beast - let me know if want any more substantial help with it! 

Cheers, Phil.

newrockstars
Solution
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi Phil,

Thanks so much for all of your help. I've got it figured out now. Thanks again!

Cheers,

Lisa

0 Upvotes
4 Replies 4
Phil_Vallender
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @newrockstars

You can create custom properties to store this kind of information. 

Once you have created the custom property in HubSpot, you can import the values as an additional column in your import file, or apply them manually to contacts in HubSpot - both individually and in bulk. 

More information here: Create custom properties

Hope this helps.

newrockstars
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi Phil!

Thanks so much for your quick reply. I understand how to create property labels but what if I need to create a sub-label within that label? For example, I have created a property contact label for Artists but I also need to create a label that further defines the genre of their music so that if I'm doing a filter search on all of my contacts, I will be able to pull up a list of micro-targeted contacts by genre within my master contact database. ie: Artists/Jazz

Also--how do I manually add property labels in bulk to my contacts that have already been uploaded  in HubSpot? I read the article in your link, but it didn't appear to offer a solution. Maybe I missed it?

And finally, what is the best way to connect new contacts to a property label during the import process into HubSpot? I've created the property label I want to use, however, that property label is not in the field forms on the CSV files I will be uploading.

I apologize if my questions are redundant. I'm now on a trial of the Enterprise solution attempting to onboard myself and my brain is a bit distracted with information overload. 🙂

Thanks again for your kind help!

0 Upvotes
Phil_Vallender
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @newrockstars

Interesting questions. 

You can't create nested properties in HubSpot, unfortunately. So when it comes to recording that a contact is an artist and storing their genre, you will need two fields, one for type (artists, etc) and one for genre.

When it comes to bulk updating contacts, you have two main choices - you can either import the new data using the contact's email address to identify them, or use the bulk edit feature

The answer to your third question depends on how you obtaining and entering the contact's details. Adding the custom property to the CSV file is the easiest way if importing. 

Enterprise is a powerful beast - let me know if want any more substantial help with it! 

Cheers, Phil.

newrockstars
Solution
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi Phil,

Thanks so much for all of your help. I've got it figured out now. Thanks again!

Cheers,

Lisa

0 Upvotes