CRM

MaddieLeine
Participant

unsubscribed but still receiving emails

SOLVE

Hello,

One of my subscribers have unsubscribed from my mailing list last month, but why would she still receive my email newsletter this month? Perhaps is this a glitch from Hubspot?

Thank you.

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @MaddieLeine,

How did the contact unsubscribe? Did she click the unsubscribe link at the end of the email?

To investigate this, you can navigate to her contact record. In the left sidebar of the contact record, scroll down until you see Communication subscriptions and click View history. If the unsubscribe is not listed here, that's why she's still receiving emails.

karstenkoehler_0-1617343226542.png

To prevent further damage, you can manually unsubscribe her: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/contacts/how-do-i-unsubscribe-or-opt-out-contacts-from-email

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
StefaniUAT
Key Advisor

SOLVE

@MaddieLeine  from my knowledge, if the subscriber had opted out on the bottom of an email based on what the amazing @karstenkoehler posted, the subscriber should no longer be receiving any emails from HubSpot. In my personal experience, I've never seen HubSpot glitch when it comes to compliance. If they opted out some other way that is not HubSpot regulated, this could be a definite possibility. If you are worried that a subscriber opted out and is still receiving emails, there are a couple of options that I've used.

1. You can manually opt-out a contact out of email at any time directly on their contact profile.

HB_Opt_Out.png

2. In extreme cases where nothing else works for some crazy reason (I love tech, but not always 100% reliable), you could potentially, but not recommended, copy and paste their email address into a pinned note so it can be searched in the global search or via List and then add a consistent number or character to the end of their email address. Example:

Test_Hub_3.png

Personally, my best suggestion would be to speak with your legal counsel and determine the best course of action on storing, contacting, etc. humans... Especially those who have previously stated they are not interested (from my understanding, in most if not all cases, humans can alert anyone in the organization to not be contacted further and it's final and needs to be done.) There are many legal obligations for storing, processing, contacting, opting-out, contacting, etc. humans including emails based on how they inquired, the exact legal wording they agreed to, requesting opting-out verbally or digitally, how many communications can be conducted by an organization based on industry, GDPR, general laws and regulations, etc. Many organizations and industries have cyber laws that some organizations may not be aware of and good counsel should be best to assist you. In the meantime, HubSpot offers a GDPR option to help organizations not unknowingly break regulations/laws such as contacting humans after they have requested to be opted out. 

If the above does not apply, please forgive me. I wanted to ensure to provide knowledge that I have learned just in case. If neither @karstenkoehler's response nor neither of mine meet expectations please let me know and @ me and I will be happy to assist in any way possible. 

Best,
Stefani Johnson
Defect and Database Administrator
University of Advancing Technology
uat.edu I Earn Tech Respect
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @MaddieLeine,

How did the contact unsubscribe? Did she click the unsubscribe link at the end of the email?

To investigate this, you can navigate to her contact record. In the left sidebar of the contact record, scroll down until you see Communication subscriptions and click View history. If the unsubscribe is not listed here, that's why she's still receiving emails.

karstenkoehler_0-1617343226542.png

To prevent further damage, you can manually unsubscribe her: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/contacts/how-do-i-unsubscribe-or-opt-out-contacts-from-email

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

MaddieLeine
Participant

SOLVE

Thank you so much for the great tips @karstenkoehler!

I managed to successfully unsubscribed her. 

Thank you once again for all your help.