radio or dropdown or other

Resident Expert

Hi. I am looking to make things easier and want to use lists to select options on fields, however, sometimes new information will need to be added.  How can I have a list and a fill in your own?

Thanks

Chris

0 Upvotes
7 Replies 7
Top Advisor | Gold Partner

Hi Chris

You could use a conditional field, in your select list, to show an "other" field in your form.

I'm guessing you then want the contents of the "other" field to be automagically added to your slect list?

You could trigger a Webhook, which runs some code, to update your select list options.

But, I would be worried about your select list growing out of control.

Yesterday I saw a Custom Field in a client's HubSpot Portal that had a free text field instead of a checkbox. The field only been used 3 times and the values entered were "Yes", "N" and a completely unrealted random value.

Mike

0 Upvotes
Resident Expert

@Mike_Eastwood  Thanks for your response, it is not a form but a company field.  We are working with an exclusive group an there are Administrators where we can to group. Rather than fill in manually each time, all the administrators have been added as a dropdown. This is great when setting up, however, I am not sure how often the administrators change.

Thanks.

Chris

0 Upvotes

Ah, thank you for the clarification Chris.

Based on your answers in the forum I think you're also kinda geeky (which is a compliment) so I'm gonna write this like a geek:

You could use a cron job to pull a list of HubSpot Owners, walk the list for Admins, then update the Custom Property in the Company.

Assumptions:

- your Administrators are users in the HubSpot Portal

- your not worried about stale data (if a Company is linked to an Admin that is removed)

- the investment in custom code will pay off instead of doing it manually

Mike

0 Upvotes
Resident Expert

@Mike_Eastwood  Thank you for the compliment.

My skills set only goes so far.  I have no UNIX experience or access. 

At this point, I am the HubSpot owner as everything is being set up for a product launch.  I am the only active user and an ADMIN not a SUPERADMIN.

Is there another way?  

The current field is Administrator with a single line text. This is not a field I can filter. UGH! (This will be saved and hidden, going forward, it will not be used and replaced by the new field)

The new field is Administrator (choose one) with a dropdown select.  This can be filtered and will allow for a more efficient setup.  The "users" potentially will be brand new to HubSpot and have no knowledge of how to add a property nevermind add an option.

Thanks.

Chris

0 Upvotes

Would the Custom Property "HubSpot User" work?

If you add a "HubSpot User" custom property to your Company it would allow anyone to select a HubSpot User (your team) and save it to your Company record.

-Mike

0 Upvotes
Resident Expert

@Mike_Eastwood Hi Mike,

I am sorry, I am not following. The Administrators are not using Hubspot, they are for the franchise not us. I could add the field but everything needs to be input manually since I can not search for the single text field.

The project will require knowledge of the admins and what practice they are part of (contact record) and which practices they are responsible for, the admin of.  So today I have the 300 admins set up as a choose one from a dropdown.  If tomorrow there is a new admin, how can they be easily added by a user rather than going back to properties?  I abandoned the single line text, add it yourself, for consistency and searchability.

Chris

0 Upvotes

Sorry Chris,

Didn't realise your Administrators were in a different system... that probably means your options are manual or custom code.

Just to make it more complicated - having 300 Admins in a Select List would make it a difficult User Experience.

If you like I can and bounce some ideas around? (might be faster than Forum Foosball).

Mike