"Last Activity" shown in Contacts list is updating spontaneously

kathla
Participant

We are finding that there are multiple contacts who are displaying last activity as being recent (all on the same day at the exact same time), when in fact we have not had any activity with them for a long time. For example, one contact recently indicated "Last Activity" as Sept. 20 at 3:30pm, but the last activity in the contact's details (e.g., emails, notes) was July 2017. In many cases, there are multiple contacts from the same institution all showing the same last activity date and time.

Has anyone else had this problem? The only possible explanations that I can think of are (a) we sent out a newsletter that day, and somehow it is triggering an update for some people, or (b) perhaps these organizations also use HubSpot so something is going on at their end. What makes it so strange is that all are marked as last activity at the exact same time of day.

0 Upvotes
11 Replies 11
jennysowyrda
Community Manager

Hi @kathla,

The last activity date will update when an activity is entered into HubSpot or when an existing activity on the record is edited. Is it possible there was an update on that day that included changes to the contacts' information? 

If this becomes a pattern or you would like me to investigate this matter further can you please share some example contacts who this happened for? 

Thank you,
Jenny

0 Upvotes
kathla
Participant

Hi Jenny,

Sorry for the delay. This definitely continues to happen. Two examples are Rick McMullen, who shows a last activity date of November 1, 2018 (but has not had activity since May 31, 2017) and Miron Livny (who shows a last activity date of September 20, 2018 (but has not had activity since July 21, 2017). It seems to happen in bunches, as there are several other people listed with "last activity" on each of those days who have not been active in quite some time.

Thanks for your help! If you need other info, please let me know.

Katherine

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager

Hi @kathla,

The property I am seeing as updated on the day of the 'last engagement' is the notes section. Is it possible the notes are being deleted after they're put on the timeline? 

0 Upvotes
kathla
Participant

Hi!

Nope, it is not at all likely that someone added and then deleted notes for these people, particularly given that these "Last Activity" dates seem to be updated in groups and the contacts getting updated are all unrelated.

Any other thoughts as to why this is happening?

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager

Hi @kathla,

I checked in with the Support team on other changes that could cause this, and they said that if there was a task associated with the user that would also cause this date to update as well. 

0 Upvotes
kathla
Participant

These are people with whom we are having absolutely no activity. What is also odd is that there are so many people all with the same exact last activity time. For example, this has happened again, such that there are 27 people with the "Last Activity" time of 11/08/2018 1:32 PM EST. These are people from different companies, with different "owners," and different deals (or lack thereof). It includes Miron Livny again, who has had no activity with us for ages. Can your team look at our list of contacts and see all 27? This seems more like a bug than something we're doing on our end. Thanks!

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager

Hi @kathla,

Do you have any sort of task queue set up or automated tasks that are being created? Because the support team is seeing these updates as coming specifically from tasks being created in association with these users, I think the next best step is to confirm none of your users either have automatic task creation set up, aren't creating tasks, etc. 

Thanks,
Jenny

0 Upvotes
kathla
Participant

I have confirmed with all my regular users that they have not created automated tasks. I just checked and the person (Miron Livny) who keeps getting updated is now part of a group of 25 people who were all updated November 15 at 5:10pm EST.  What I've noticed lately is that the update day is always Thursday, but not always at the same time of day. I've attached png files of the screenshots of all those contacts. The group keeps growing. Very odd!

first-half-11-15-update.pngremainder-11-15-update.png

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager

Hi @kathla,

It looks like the task tab is being tied to the action, but that the specific change is due to a meetings activity being updated. 

Do you have the Zapier integration connected to your portal? If so, the same timing and days could be due to some update that is coming through for these meetings from Zapier.

Thanks,
Jenny

0 Upvotes
kathla
Participant

Hi Jenny,

I realize that I haven't followed up on this in a long while. We do use Zapier, but that couldn't have been it, as Zapier only creates contacts or adds deals, and this is not what was happening with these contacts. 

But on the good side, this seems to have stopped as of some time after our correspondence in November. Moreover, the last activity dates have resolved back to their accurate dates. For example, Mr. Herbsleb, who is listed with an incorrect recent activity on Nov. 15, 2018, is back to having his most recent activity back in August 2017. Not sure why this went back to normal, but I'm glad it is resolved!

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager

Thanks for the update @kathla 🙂 

0 Upvotes