"Contact already exists" after deleting all imported contacts

Highlighted
New Contributor

A hubspot user of ours imported their companies/contacts using outlook, but then removed them (decided it would be a better idea to enter them in manually).

Now when the user enters new contact/company information, HubSpot says that the contact already exists, even though it doesn't (they were all deleted).

It looks like HubSpot is still storing the imported information somewhere and it never fully deleted, although they are not shown.

Anyone run into this issue? Any ideas to fix?

0 Upvotes
5 Replies 5
Esteemed Advisor | Gold Partner | HubSpot Certified Trainer

Hi @rbraemer328,

We ran into a similar issue with a client a few months back. They had someone do a mass import but they realized whoever completed the import didn't do a great job with segmentation and organization. We purged all of the contacts and re-uploaded. In our case after the first error, we waited a day to re-upload the list and it went through just fine.

I can't promise this will work in your case, but it's possible! Let me know how it goes.

Josh

Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

Josh Curcio

We help tier 1 & 2 manufacturers generate leads!
HubSpot Gold Partner & HubSpot Certified Trainer

New Contributor

Gotcha, thanks Josh.

Unfortunately, its been a few weeks so I don't think it's a matter of waiting and trying again.

It actually lists our import history- you can delete the companies/contacts but I don't see an option to clear that import history.

Any other suggestions would be great!!!  I'm still at a standstill since he isn't able to add any contacts/companies.

0 Upvotes
HubSpot Employee

Hi @rbraemer328,

Contacts in HubSpot are deduplicated based on email address, so if you try to add a contact whose email address matches that of an existing contact then this will occur. 

Can you provide the email address of a contact you are trying to add but the CRM is claiming already exists? If you could send me that info as well as your HubID in a private message I can look into this further.

Have you searched your CRM for the email address of a contact that you are unable to add? It is possible that the contact exists in your CRM but under a Name that you are not expecting to see while the email address remains. 

Rami 

0 Upvotes
New Contributor

How do I remove a contact that supposedly exists (the email is recognized as entered), but I cannot find it?

0 Upvotes
Esteemed Advisor | Gold Partner | HubSpot Certified Trainer

Hi @rbraemer328,

Sorry this didn't work out for you! I know the importance of keeping clean and accurate data. It's quite a frustration to be at a standstill. Sounds like this one will have to go directly to HubSpot's tech support.

Best of luck!

Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

Josh Curcio

We help tier 1 & 2 manufacturers generate leads!
HubSpot Gold Partner & HubSpot Certified Trainer

0 Upvotes