CRM

vy
Contributor

how to import multiple notes of one contacts

SOLVE

Hi I'm new to hubspot. 

My question is, how to import multiple notes of one contacts?

For example, i have a contact AMY, under this name, i made 2 notes:  July 18th 2019 / 200USD, Aug 20th 2019 100USD.

Should I make my excel sheet like this: 

"first name",  "activity date", "note body", "activity date", "note body" ??

Or I have to combie 2 notes into one?  like:

"first name", "note body"

"Amy",  "July 18th 2019 / 200USD, Aug 20th 2019 100USD"

Thanks.

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @vy 

It looks like to import multiple notes for the same contact, you will have to use the import and associate approach, importing the contacts and notes at the same time.

To do this you would need each note on its own row, along with an identifier for the contact - ideally this would be the HubSpot unique ID - and a file with the contacts' email addresses and the same unique identifer. This should then import your notes and associate them with the correct contact. 

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
MWilson1
Participant

SOLVE

Hello

We are a small company looking to transition to the free HubSpot platform but are struggling with imputing notes.  I am not very tech savvy so any help would be greatly appreciated.  This conversation seemed to be the most relevant, however, I am still struggling….

Our current CRM provider has asked for a template CSV file so that they can lay the data out in a way that will easiest to import.  The two problems I am having is creating a template that can add multiple notes for a contact & add notes against a company account without adding to contacts only.  I am sure that it is probably a simple answer but I am struggling to find it.

Using the technique above I can add multiple notes to a contact but I have to add each note as a separate CSV file which when we have 100's of notes against a single contact is not going to be possible.

Any advice on where I am going wrong would be much appreciated. 

Thanks

0 Upvotes
vy
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi, I finally use this method to upload  2 notes for the same contact.

i made 2 excel files, one file with full contact info and one note info. the other excel file with email column and another note info.

i have to uplode them 2 times seperately through below process: 

one file ----> multiple objects ----> contacts + note.

I think the conclusion is: if i have 2 notes for one same contact, i need to make them in 2 differrent excel files, and uplode them 2 times one by one. 

Phil_Vallender

SOLVE

Hi @vy 

It sounds like you have successfully imported your notes - however, I'm not sure why you ran into the problems you did. 

I recently completed an import of multiple notes per contact using the two files with associations methods. As long as the values in the common column appear only once on the contact spreadsheet, HubSpot shoud import all the notes - you would be asked to pick a column to map to the activity date and, as long as it passed date fromat validation rather than cause errors, they should all be imported.  

vy
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi Phil, Thanks for your reply!

When i tried to import through "Multiple files with associations", i made 2 excel files, one is for contact, the other is for notes. 

here is the excel for ontact: excel contact.png

Here is the excel for note:

excel note.png

You can see that I use a common column "phone number" as the indentifer.

I'm wondering is that because I use the 2 same titles as "activity date" "note body" (I mark them in yellow) for 2 notes in one note excel, so the hubspot only can identify one note, couldn't identify the other one?

but if i don't use the title, how could hubspot indentify them as a note?

if so does it mean we only could uplode one note for one contact in one time?

Thanks.

0 Upvotes
vy
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi Phil, 

@Phil_Vallender

Thanks for your reply and help!

I've tried as below:

A) Multiple files with associations

1st try

Excel note: Phone numbers with 2 columns of notes.

Excel contact: Phone numbers emails 1st name.

Common Colum: phone numbers

Only one note is uploaded

2nd try:

Excel note: Phone numbers with 1 column of notes.

Excel contact: Phone numbers emails 1st name, the other column of notes

Common Colum: phone numbers

Only one note is uploaded

B) One file ---> multiple objects

Contacts and 2 notes in one excel files.

Only one note is uploaded.

So, you see, i use the phone number as identifer, but all 3 ways not worked,  only one "activity date" and "note body" were uploaded, and the other ones were requested to "choose or created a property".

Attached you can find my excel file pic. 

excel contact note.png

I'm confuzed.  Please help! Thanks!

0 Upvotes
Phil_Vallender

SOLVE

Hi @vy 

Did any of your attempts have an excel file of notes where each note was on an individual row? Meaning the common field/phone number was repeated on several rows in that file?

I meant to say, always do a small test import first - but it looks like you have done this 👍

0 Upvotes
Phil_Vallender
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @vy 

It looks like to import multiple notes for the same contact, you will have to use the import and associate approach, importing the contacts and notes at the same time.

To do this you would need each note on its own row, along with an identifier for the contact - ideally this would be the HubSpot unique ID - and a file with the contacts' email addresses and the same unique identifer. This should then import your notes and associate them with the correct contact. 

Hope this helps.