CRM

ConradS
Contributor

chrome converts phone number into external link

SOLVE

When a contact record is opened, the phone number becomes a TEL: formated Chrome external link nearly instantly. This breaks the click-to-dial funtion of the chrome softphone that we use for our calling. See screen shot. If the click-to-dial is done immediately upon the page loading, sometimes it will work before chrome changes it to external link.

The following have been explored with no success:

1) all references to TEL as a default program both in Windows / Chrome removed (and double checked in regedit)

2) Chrome protocol and protocol_handlers for TEL have been set to exclude in preferences filehubspot external link issue.jpg

3) clean pristine installs of Chrome have been used and exihibt the same behaviour (pristine Chrome install in pristine install of OS (both Windows and Linux Mint))

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
ConradS
Solution
Contributor

SOLVE

Good news! Happy to report that RingCentral just released a beta version of their extension (v4.0.0) which I am testing...it corrects the issue (so far)!

I would still encourage the Hubspot developers to add the code to eliminate the co-opting of the TEL: schema by Chrome, however (an ounce of prevention and all).

By the way, I apologize if my weak attempt at humor (I've been the support guy "pointing the finger") was poorly received..I really do appreciate your efforts on my behalf!!

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
5 Replies 5
roisinkirby
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Hello @ConradS at the moment I beleive this function is working as designed. Could you please send over a GIF/video of the behavior on a test contact?

0 Upvotes
ConradS
Contributor

SOLVE

Here is a screen recording of the problem...except it won't let me upload it...too big...

Here is a dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ahvvforfddrr03b/Screencast%202018-03-05%2018%3A30%3A23.mp4?dl=0

There is a discussion (related to Safari but likely applicable) here: https://developers.google.com/web/fundamentals/native-hardware/click-to-call/

This directs developers to set: <meta name="format-detection" content="telephone=no">

Thanks for the help in correcting this issue! 

0 Upvotes
roisinkirby
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Hello @ConradS thank you for sharing this. I reviewed with our technical support team and they confirmed that this is your extension, RingCentral working as designed. This extension is designed to scrape a page for phone number formats and convert them into dial links.

HubSpot is not able to influence how this extension process information in the HubSpot App. 

If this is causing you roadblocks I'd reccommend reaching out directly to RingCentral support to see if there is a setting on their side you can use. 

0 Upvotes
ConradS
Contributor

SOLVE

Ah yes, the old "it's not our problem" manuever lol.

It is in fact an issue with the Hubspot code - the extension does work as designed in every part of the Hubspot page EXCEPT the contact details division! That says that it is an issue with the design of that part of the Hubspot page (Ring Central concurs). The code snippet I posted would fix the issue and has nothing at all to do with the extension, rather it stops Chrome from co-opting the TEL: schema and converting it into an external link.

Thanks again for your efforts on addressing this issue.

0 Upvotes
ConradS
Solution
Contributor

SOLVE

Good news! Happy to report that RingCentral just released a beta version of their extension (v4.0.0) which I am testing...it corrects the issue (so far)!

I would still encourage the Hubspot developers to add the code to eliminate the co-opting of the TEL: schema by Chrome, however (an ounce of prevention and all).

By the way, I apologize if my weak attempt at humor (I've been the support guy "pointing the finger") was poorly received..I really do appreciate your efforts on my behalf!!

0 Upvotes