CRM

dsogo

bcc to log emails stopped working while forwarding is fine.

SOLVE

Starting a few days ago, bcc emails from Outlook stopped logging in HubSpot, while forwarded emails continue to work fine.  Everything was working previously, we did not change any user email addresses.   Same problem across all users in our account.   Thanks!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
martsyn
Solution

SOLVE

@jennysowyrda, here's message from our support team:

Hi Alex,

We strip Message ID from the Internet egress server for outbound
emails to the Internet. That configuration has been like that for
couple of years - I reviewed it with my team. Message ID contains
internal host name which becomes an attack vector, that's why it is
being stripped for security reason.

I think that it is possible that Hubspot might have implemented a
recent change/restriction to stop accepting mails without a Message
ID.

Please take note that mail delivery/acceptance doesn't rely on the
presence or absence of a Message ID (it is an optional attribute).
When a receiving mail system doesn't find a message ID, it generates
its own.

I'm including the headers from recent and old (7months to 15 months
ago) emails that I sent to external recipients. The external messaging
systems assigns their own Message ID.

He then proceeded to include few samples from external-bound emails, like hotmail and gmail where receiving servers created their own message IDs. Some of those emails dated beginning of 2016. I can include those in private message if you wish.

This shows two points: 

1. Unlike other mail servers, Hubspot incorrectly handles properly formatted emails.

2. This problem was introduced by Hubspot sometime in May, a few weeks before the issue was raised by my coworker in this forum thread.

Please get back to that lazy developer that told you to shuffle me to "ideas" forum to look in to the code changes that introduced this BUG sometime mid-May. The problem is clear and I consider that all of us have spent too much effort for this to be just thrown away due to their incompetence and laziness.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
42 Replies 42
MNieto

SOLVE

Email forwarding works flawlessly, but BCC to log emails has ceased functioning. Consider this analogy: like seamless raiding in WotLK private servers contrasted with a glitch in logging boss encounters.

0 Upvotes
CEMercado26
Participant

SOLVE

The same think JUST happened to me.  I was on the phone with a client and sent him our pricing.  BCC was autopopulated with the hubspot email.  Client didnt receive it.  While on the phone with him, I reforwared it and removed the bcc.  He received the email right away.   This concerns me.  Since I've been with Hubspot (2 weeks) I've been sending out emails.  Some do respond, however, now I need to go through all my sent emails to make sure I received a response and resend if I didn't.  Please help! Thank you!

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @dsogo

Is the bcc address populating for you within the bcc address bar? If so, does the address match the format outlined in this article

If the bcc matches the criteria above and the issue persists, I would recommend deleting the extension and redownloading it (click here) to confirm you have the most up to date version of the extension. 

If you are still experiencing this issue after taking these steps, can you please send along screenshots along with what version of Outlook you are using so I can advise on next steps?

Thank you,

Jenny

0 Upvotes
Angie
Participant

SOLVE

I am having this same problem.  I changed from a Windows PC to a Mac in mid August and since then have had problems with bcc in outlook.  The forward function works fine but the bcc eamils are not going into the contacts record.  I was hopingto upgrade soon, but won't be able to if i can't get this fixed.  Please can someone help?

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @Angie

Do you mind giving a bit more information so we can specify where the issue is occurring? 

1. Is the bcc address populating within the sent email? 

2. Is the email address you are sending from associated with a user in the portal? 

3. Are the recipients (other than the bcc address) receiving the emails? 

4. Can you send along screenshots of what you are seeing in the sent email for recipients, as well as links to the corresponding contacts where the emails should have logged? 

Thank you,
Jenny

0 Upvotes
Angie
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Jenny

Yes the BCC is populating, delivering and the email address is connected with my hubspot account.  The bcc is working on existing active contacts, but is not creating new contacts.

If I need to create a new contact I have to do it manually and then foward the email using the forward email address. 

I can't really send any screen shots because it's not an error, it just isn't working at all.

This has only started happening since I started using Outlook for Mac, when I had my Windows PC and Sidekick installed I didn't have these issues. 

Thanks

Angie

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @Angie

Thank you for answering the questions. 

If you can send along screenshots showing the bcc address populated in the sent email and then links to the corresponding contacts where the emails should have been logged, that would be the best next step. 

Thank you,

Jenny

0 Upvotes
martsyn

SOLVE

Jenny,

I'm in the same group with @dsogo. All of us are having this issue with our @bcc.hubspot.com address. @forward.hubspot.com works fine. We are having this issue even without any extensions. When we manually add ######@bcc.hubspot.com it does not track the email as it's supposed to.

Also, going to Setting -> Sales -> Email Integrations shows some errors on my account and shows some old gmail account which is not registered right now with Hubspot for @dsogo.

Thanks,

AlexM

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

@martsyn can you send along what inbox you're sending from, as well as any screenshots of what error messages are populating within your email integrations screen? Once I have this information I can advise on next steps. 

Thank you,

Jenny

0 Upvotes
martsyn

SOLVE

I'm sending from avm _at_ hortonpoint.com and here's the screenshot with errors:

hubspotErrors.png

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

@martsyn thank you for sending the screenshot along. 

Are you able to replicate that error message across different web browsers (i.e. Safari, Chrome, Firefox), as well as after clearing your cache? I would recommend clearing your cache if you have not already.

I would then see if you are able to see the bcc address under the 'email integrations' area and confirm the address matches what you are putting in the bcc line of your emails.

Additionally, what email inbox client (Outlook, Gmail, etc.) are you sending the emails from? 

Thank you,

Jenny

0 Upvotes
martsyn

SOLVE

Ok, so I cleared cookies in Chrome and started a private (incognito) session and still getting that error.

I installed Firefox and "Email Integrations" page works there:

hubspotEmailIntegrations.png

The BCC address there is the mailbox we all used to use and it worked fine until recently. Again, the Forwarding address still works fine.

We use Outlook here (and also Exchange's web interface). And whether we use its plug-ins or not BCC address does not work and Forwarding address works fine.

This BCC functionality is important to my team. Is there a way to speed up the communication to more than once a week and perhaps get a developer over a phone call? I don't mind sharing my screen if necessary or helping out in any other way you need.

Thank you,

AlexM

0 Upvotes
martsyn

SOLVE

@jennysowyrda, can you please follow up on this? This is clearly a bug with handling mail incoming into our hubspot BCC mailbox, not issue with my browser or mail client extensions. Can we get someone to look into our account.

Let me know if it takes getting a paid account to get this resolved over the phone.

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

@martsyn thank you for your patience while I have investigated this matter on your behalf. 

There are a few things going on here: 

1. The Chrome error

Please enable cookies and allow local data to be set within your Chrome settings (see screenshot). 

content settings in chrome.png

2. Bcc address

Can you please try deleting the extension from Outlook, and adding the bcc address independently? If the forwarding is working and it is just the bcc address that is not working, this is likey associated with the extension as opposed to the functionality. You can download the latest version of the extension here.

Please let me know if these steps resolve the matter for you. 

0 Upvotes
martsyn

SOLVE

@jsowyrd, let me reiterate once again that I am not using any extensions and manually populating 2311372@bcc.hubspot.com in BCC address in outlook.

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

@martsyn can you please send along a screenshot of a sent email from your Outlook inbox with the bcc address added? Thank you.

0 Upvotes
martsyn

SOLVE

Jenny, thanks for getting back.

Here's the screenshot of Outlook window with message I'm about to be sent:

hubspotBccTest.png

Here's proof that the message was received by my outside mailbox repka_at_ymail.com:

hubspotBccTest-received.png

And here's hubspot communications page with that account that is missing all BCCed emails and only has emails forwarded to 2311372@forward.hubspot.com to show that BCC doesn't works while forward does:

hubspotBccTest-missing.png

Thanks

0 Upvotes
martsyn

SOLVE

@jennysowyrda, let me also add that I tried all three text formats: plain, HTML and rich. None go through to hubspot.

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

@martsyn can you please get an email header from an email you have sent using the bcc email address and send me the email header in a private message? Here are instructions on how to get an email header.

0 Upvotes
martsyn

SOLVE

@jennysowyrda, hi

I've just sent you the message source. Outlook does not show you the headers from sent messages (only received). So I grabbed the raw message from yahoo (ymail) mail box that was the destination of my test email. Thanks

0 Upvotes