CRM

gourav_evrcare
Participant

Zapier Integration is not letting me create new contact in hubspot without email address

SOLVE

I'm using a zapier integration where I'm getting the new lead data, passing it to zapier webhook and then creating a contact in hubspot. Hubspot create contact api page says we can create a new contact without email address: https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/methods/contacts/create_contact

However, zapier integration is insisting on providing an email.

Error Message:

HubSpot: Required field "Contact Email" (email) is missing.

I reached to Zapier support team and they mentioned that this integration is done by Hubspot Team so request you to please fix this bug.

Zapier thread: https://community.zapier.com/developer-discussion-13/zapier-is-not-letting-me-create-new-contact-in-...

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Vectordude
Solution
Contributor

Zapier Integration is not letting me create new contact in hubspot without email address

SOLVE

Like most users on the community board, I'm just a user of the software, although my job requires that I probably use it more heavily than most.

You can tell the hubsot employees apart because they have an orange Icon next to their name and their title will usually be "Community Manager". Ex.) https://community.hubspot.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/21301

However, they have a very large community to manage, so the best avenue in my experience for this sort of issue is the phone support team (1-888-482-7768).

For the workflow, I would create a contact based workflow that is triggered off of the "original source" and the "original source drilldown" on the contact. I'm not positive, but there should be a unique value for the exact zapier webhook that is used on the form. then just use the "clear value" action to remove the email address. (you have to make sure email is a non-mandatory field already, but I assume that isnt an issue here). I would also be certain to make sure reenrollment is OFF, so it doesnt trigger later if original source changes (there are unusual scenarios where this can happen).

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
collinsjoshua
Participant

SOLVE

I have two CRMs syncing with HubSpot. We use HubSpot to update our Target ad's list. We noticed after the fact that our target list got way smaller and found that contacts without emails were not syncing. Is it possible to use a phone number as the UID and/or Email, or is @Vectordude Solution the best route? 

0 Upvotes
Vectordude
Contributor

SOLVE

The reason hubspot requires an email address is that they use this value as a unique identifier.

The reason this is important is that it prevents duplicate records from being created for what might be a single person.

Its generally best practice to use email address when pushing contact data between systems. If you do have another unique Identifier, it might be possible to use that instead. However, I have not explored that scenario personally.

0 Upvotes
gourav_evrcare
Participant

SOLVE
but hubspot allows creating contact without email address, if we use name field. also hubspot create contact api also allows creating contact without email. so why is there a restriction only when using zapier integration. as far as i think it's a bug
Vectordude
Contributor

SOLVE

Fair enough. What sort of system are you trying to connect via zapier?

Its hard to predict how these sort of issues get resolved since it is a product related issue. I might suggest calling their support team and speaking with them about potential solutions. I've had very good success there in most cases. 

If hubspot doesnt provide you an official solution, there might be a workaround. One person in the Zapier thread suggested populating essentialy a placholder for email address and your aprehension was bringing in nonsense data into your system. I totally agree with you there, but what if you used a workflow to clear out the placeholder value once it has gotten into hubspot? 

0 Upvotes
gourav_evrcare
Participant

SOLVE

I'm capturing data from our website forms to hubspot. I post the data to zapier webhook and then zapier puts the data in hubspot. I already contacted zapier but the integration is managed by hubspot so zapier can't do much in this.

"If hubspot doesnt provide you an official solution"

--> Isn't it you who represent hubspot? who else should I reach in hubspot?

"if you used a workflow to clear out the placeholder value once it has gotten into hubspot?"

--> how do you propose to do it?

0 Upvotes
Vectordude
Solution
Contributor

SOLVE

Like most users on the community board, I'm just a user of the software, although my job requires that I probably use it more heavily than most.

You can tell the hubsot employees apart because they have an orange Icon next to their name and their title will usually be "Community Manager". Ex.) https://community.hubspot.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/21301

However, they have a very large community to manage, so the best avenue in my experience for this sort of issue is the phone support team (1-888-482-7768).

For the workflow, I would create a contact based workflow that is triggered off of the "original source" and the "original source drilldown" on the contact. I'm not positive, but there should be a unique value for the exact zapier webhook that is used on the form. then just use the "clear value" action to remove the email address. (you have to make sure email is a non-mandatory field already, but I assume that isnt an issue here). I would also be certain to make sure reenrollment is OFF, so it doesnt trigger later if original source changes (there are unusual scenarios where this can happen).

gourav_evrcare
Participant

SOLVE

lol.. I was not aware that you are a user not hubspot employee. It's a great community!  Thank you for providing the workaround, I'll try that out if it works.

0 Upvotes