CRM

Jenny26
Top Contributor

Workflow to create multiple custom object records

SOLVE

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to design a workflow that creates multiple records for our custom object. Here are the details:

• We have a custom object called "Projects."
  • We have a deal property called "project type." This is configured as a multi-select checkbox (ability to select multiple options) property.
  • I'm trying to create a workflow that will create a "Projects" record for each "project type" selected in the property.  So, for example, if 3 of the "project types" are selected, 3 "Projects" records are created - 1 for each type. 

If I use an if/then branch, the workflow stops after the first "project type." If I use a values equals branch that creates a branch for each value of the "project types" property, the workflow runs but does't create the "Projects" records  - it looks like it skips over all the "types" and goes to the last branch (sends an internal email to me if the records weren't created). I'm stuck - any insights on how to accomplish this?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
jolle
Solution
Recognized Expert | Partner

SOLVE

Hey @Jenny26, thanks for reaching out! I don't have a ton of experience with custom objects, but I'll tery to help as best I can!

I feel like this may require a separate workflow for each "Project Type" value. That would look like:

• Deal Workflow 1
    • Enrollment criteria = "Project Type" contains any of "Project Type Value 1"
    • Create "Projects" record
  • Deal Workflow 2
    • Enrollment criteria = "Project Type" contains any of "Project Type Value 2"

The challenge is that there are a ton of potential value combinations for "Project Type" (especially depending on the number of multi-select options), so it would be difficult to build a workflow that accounts for each combination in its own branch. 

You'll also be able to clone the workflow for each "Project Type" value and update the enrollment criteria/record create details, so that should save you some time.

Hope this helps!!

Jacob Olle

Marketing Operations Manager

HubSpot Certified Trainer

Create Your Own Free Signature

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Jenny26
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Thank you, Jacob! I created a separate workflow for each type and that seems to be working great. I appreciate your help very much!

jolle

SOLVE

So glad to hear, and happy to help!!

Jacob Olle

0 Upvotes
jolle
Solution

SOLVE

Hey @Jenny26, thanks for reaching out! I don't have a ton of experience with custom objects, but I'll tery to help as best I can!

I feel like this may require a separate workflow for each "Project Type" value. That would look like:

• Deal Workflow 1
    • Enrollment criteria = "Project Type" contains any of "Project Type Value 1"
  • Deal Workflow 2
    • Enrollment criteria = "Project Type" contains any of "Project Type Value 2"

The challenge is that there are a ton of potential value combinations for "Project Type" (especially depending on the number of multi-select options), so it would be difficult to build a workflow that accounts for each combination in its own branch. 

You'll also be able to clone the workflow for each "Project Type" value and update the enrollment criteria/record create details, so that should save you some time.

Hope this helps!!

Jacob Olle