CRM

smk

Workflow to create a deal...if it doesn't already exist

SOLVE

Hi.  I would like to use a workflow to create a new deal, but I want to test (in the workflow) to see if it exists already before creating a duplicate.

Possible?  How?

Thanks.

1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @smk,

You could create a workflow for each pipeline. The pipeline 1 workflow would enroll contacts/companies and then check if there was at least one associated deal in the pipeline 1. If yes, notify sales, if no, go ahead and create the deal. The pipeline 2 workflow would check if there was at least one associated deal in pipeline 2, etc.

However, you couldn't check if you're accidentally creating a deal in pipeline 2 that already exists in pipeline 1.

If that above doesn't really apply, I think that what you're trying to achieve is currently not possible. HubSpot can neither compare two objects, nor is it possible to get more specific than "at least one occurrence". It's simply a limitation of the tool at this moment.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10
smk

SOLVE

Karsten and Webdew - thank you both very much for your efforts.  I will work with these suggestions and see if I can solve the problem.

Thanks again.

karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @webdew,

I was assuming that there might be different trigger criteria for deal creation in different pipelines. Yes, this could of course be attempted within workflow. My personal preference is to generally create multiple workflows rather than branching logic – for a more modular approach that allows for better troubleshooting and is less prone to error since it's using fewer logical operators (OR, AND).

Best regards

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

webdew
Guide | Diamond Partner
Guide | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @karstenkoehler ,

We usually try to create one workflow with AND/OR logics or If/Then branch.. makes its easy for clients to understand as they don't have to look for diff workflows for one task. But like your approach too. Easy to troubleshoot workflow with less logics.
Thank You 🙂

Regards.

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @smk,

You could create a workflow for each pipeline. The pipeline 1 workflow would enroll contacts/companies and then check if there was at least one associated deal in the pipeline 1. If yes, notify sales, if no, go ahead and create the deal. The pipeline 2 workflow would check if there was at least one associated deal in pipeline 2, etc.

However, you couldn't check if you're accidentally creating a deal in pipeline 2 that already exists in pipeline 1.

If that above doesn't really apply, I think that what you're trying to achieve is currently not possible. HubSpot can neither compare two objects, nor is it possible to get more specific than "at least one occurrence". It's simply a limitation of the tool at this moment.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

webdew
Guide | Diamond Partner
Guide | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @karstenkoehler , How about not creating a workflow for each pipeline, but set the deal trigger as Pipeline is any of A, B and C ??

webdew_0-1615536279240.png

0 Upvotes
smk

SOLVE

Karsten, thanks again.  The problem is that we have multiple deals and multiple pipelines.  We could have a deal in another pipeline but not in this one.  Associated deals would be >0.

How would you handle this?

karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @smk,

Correct. If you want to only create a deal if that deal would be the first one, this would work. In a contact-based workflow, you could create an if/then branch based on the contact property filter "Associated deals is 0". If it is 0, go ahead and create a deal. If it is not 0, send an internal notification to a sales person to manually check the case.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler

karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @smk,

HubSpot will not automatically notice similarities between two records, unfortunately. It's currently not possible to check whether another deal exists with the same deal amount, for example, or the same deal name.

Currently, in a contact- or company-based workflow, before creating a deal record, you could only check if there is "At least one associated Deal" which matches a certain filter (but again, this filter could not be relative to another record). You could then place the deal creation under the "If none of the criteria are met" branch.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

smk

SOLVE

Karsten - Thanks for this.  This general approach could work if the number of associated deals *in a specific pipeline* =0.  If so, then we could proceed with the workflow to create the new deal.  

Thoughts?  Thanks again.

smk

SOLVE

And we're just about to upgrade to Enterprise...is it possible with that?

Thanks again.