CRM

JPulley

Workflow to copy property before updating property

SOLVE

Okay, not sure if this title makes sense, but here is what I'm trying to do.

I currently have a property on the Deal called "Next Steps."

The sales team adds in the next steps as there is an update, but leaves the previous next step for documentation. This makes the next step field very long and hard to manage.

What I want is to have the sales team update the next step, and the previous next step is moved into a note on the deal. That way, only the most current next step is in the "Next Step" field, but the historical records are still logged as notes.

I played around a bit in workflows and couldn't quite figure it out. Guidance appreciated!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @JPulley,

It's currently not possible natively to create notes via workflows but there are third-party providers who have created workflow actions for this.

If you want the previous value of a field pushed to a note, you would first have to set up a property called 'Next step (delayed)'. In a deal-based workflow, you'd enroll records when 'Next steps is known', then set up a delay of 10 minutes, then copy the value from 'Next steps' to 'Next steps (delayed)'.

You can now create another deal-based workflow that enrolls records when 'Next steps' changes (re-enrollment based on 'is known'), and then copies 'Next steps (delayed)' into a note.

That should be it 🙂

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
3 Replies 3
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @JPulley,

It's currently not possible natively to create notes via workflows but there are third-party providers who have created workflow actions for this.

If you want the previous value of a field pushed to a note, you would first have to set up a property called 'Next step (delayed)'. In a deal-based workflow, you'd enroll records when 'Next steps is known', then set up a delay of 10 minutes, then copy the value from 'Next steps' to 'Next steps (delayed)'.

You can now create another deal-based workflow that enrolls records when 'Next steps' changes (re-enrollment based on 'is known'), and then copies 'Next steps (delayed)' into a note.

That should be it 🙂

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Upvotes
JPulley

SOLVE

Thanks! Question, will this clear the previous data from the next step so it doesn't keep getting longer? I think not, right? Or when the sales person is updating, they should now just overwrite the previous data in the property?

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @JPulley, in the scenario I described, they would overwrite.

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes