CRM

GaryTesta
Contributor

Workflow - How to set Deal Owner by Country?

SOLVE

We are using SyncQ to import all of our QuickBooks Online estimates as Deals into HubSpot.  So far its work incredibly well (It also imports all of our QBO invoices into the companies we send them to so they show up on their activity timeline!) .

Now that we have the Estimates imported we need to create a workflow that will automatically look at the Deals' "Associated With" property (Company Record) assigned Country and assign the deal to the right sales rep.   

Has anyone figured out a decent workflow to do this?

We can't seem to figure out how to create a list of countries in the if then statement that will allow us to do this.  Also, is there a way to create a dynamic list of assignments by country in HubSpot?  If not I'm worried maintenance is going to be brutal as we have new sales people joining all the time...

1 Accepted solution
Neal
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hey garytesta - idea posts are always great feedback for our product team! 

In the meantime there's 1 general solution that should cover some of those needs, if I'm understanding it correctly. 

In order to make a 'list' of certain options that can be easily chosen from, we could create a workflow to tag those contacts/companies/deals with a custom property value. This would be something like the workflow below which uses a custom "Region Assignment" property, which has a set list of options to choose from. This allows you to maintain your list of different country/state grouping and turn them into an easily searchable tag. 

Region assignment.png

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
GaryTesta
Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks Neal the ability to paste in external lists is great!  But its a shame we can't just link these lists to external source like google sheets.  Then you could literally manage all the lists in one location, without all this cutting an pasting.  Its easy to leave one country on two lists like this.

Neal
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hey GaryTesta! Generally I'd imagine something like this working as a Deal Workflow (available on Sales Pro and Ent) that enrols all unassigned deals. You can add any extra criteria needed too. 

Then, you can use if/then branches to filter the deals by their companies' country, and rotate deal assignment between the relevant teams. 

There might be some tweaks needed, but if you're assigning deals based on a company property this would be the cleanest way in my eyes. 

Some notes:
Rotate owners based on teams - article

Deal assignment.png

GaryTesta
Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks Neal this is very helpful, however, do I now need to create a list of all 180 countries in the if then statement to properly assign the deals, and in certain countries like the USA I have to have another workflow to take those and assign them by state?   Seems like a lot of if thens!!!

0 Upvotes
Neal
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

You would have to make a list like this somewhere, such as the if/then branch or create a separate workflow that would tag the companies with whatever 'region grouping' you need. There's no way for HubSpot to dynamically understand what the groupings are so they do have to be manually entered at some point in the process. 

On the bright side it wouldn't be required in multiple places, just made once so that the workflow sees the divisions. Usually, I've seen users group certain states or countries into one branch so that that branch represents Nordic, Benelux, NAM etc, and the deals are rotated around the team in charge of that region.

If each country had its own individual rep or group of reps then it may be better to just use a workflow per country/state - that way the teams can maintain their own workflow assignment as needed. In this case you wouldn't use if/then branches so much as multiple workflows each with more specific enrollment criteria. 

GaryTesta
Contributor

SOLVE

I'm going to submit an idea for HubSpot to create "Variable Lists" this would be a single variable that is a defined list of text values that can be used in workflows.  Something like:

If country is found on LIST_of_Countries_EU_Sales then set Associated Sales Person to Jim Smith.

The LIST_of_Countries_EU_Sales would be a list that we can easily managed externally in something like Excel and upload into the system.  This we can can build the LIST externallyy or even export it from our account system, this ability to create variables would help with a lot things like assigning sales engineers by product, etc.

Its pretty basic but would save a LOT of time managing large lists like this.

Neal
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hey garytesta - idea posts are always great feedback for our product team! 

In the meantime there's 1 general solution that should cover some of those needs, if I'm understanding it correctly. 

In order to make a 'list' of certain options that can be easily chosen from, we could create a workflow to tag those contacts/companies/deals with a custom property value. This would be something like the workflow below which uses a custom "Region Assignment" property, which has a set list of options to choose from. This allows you to maintain your list of different country/state grouping and turn them into an easily searchable tag. 

Region assignment.png

GaryTesta
Contributor

SOLVE

Neal,

Yes this is exactly what I'm trying to do, however, notice that you need to specify each and every country in your IF checks.  It would be so much easier to have the ability to upload that list as a set of comma delimited values rather than type them all out.

Is this possible?

0 Upvotes
Neal
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

You can copy/paste the values straight into the if/then branches which should make it a lot quicker! They just need a semi-colon separation like the below. 

Ireland; United Kingdom; 

So, assuming you have your premade list external to HubSpot, this should function as the sort of import you need to quickly list the countries.

Be mindful that the values will have to match the values that exist in HubSpot for that property already, however. Any potential import tool would inevitably also be subject to some formatting rules in order for us to read it, so would end up functioning the same way.