CRM

MFranklin0
Participant

Workflow - Create Company From Contact + Avoid Duplicates

SOLVE

Most of our forms create contacts. I have created a WF that creates a related Company when the association does not exist. How could I modify the workflow so if a company exists by domain, that the company is associated with the contact rather than a new Company being created? 

1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @MFranklin0,

The short answer is that this is not possible. Workflows don't have any out-of-the-box actions that would let you customize associations, e.g. "if company already exists, associate contact to existing company". This can be achieved but it requires custom code actions in Operations Hub Professional and the help of a developer – or third-party automation solutions to integrate with HubSpot.

Instead, have you looked into the automatic contact / company association? It sounds like what you're trying to achieve could be solved by this default creation / association feature. https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-setup/automatically-create-and-associate-companies-with-contacts

Best regards

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
AKim7
Participant

SOLVE

I want this as well. Mainly for custom company types (making families)

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @MFranklin0,

The short answer is that this is not possible. Workflows don't have any out-of-the-box actions that would let you customize associations, e.g. "if company already exists, associate contact to existing company". This can be achieved but it requires custom code actions in Operations Hub Professional and the help of a developer – or third-party automation solutions to integrate with HubSpot.

Instead, have you looked into the automatic contact / company association? It sounds like what you're trying to achieve could be solved by this default creation / association feature. https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-setup/automatically-create-and-associate-companies-with-contacts

Best regards

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

MFranklin0
Participant

SOLVE

Karsten, I so appreciate your reply. I disabled my workflow and enabled this feature, as I was unaware of this configuration option. 

Martin 

0 Upvotes
BukunmiOdetayo
Top Contributor | Partner
Top Contributor | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @MFranklin0,

I think this can be addressed within your workflow triggers. Since you have set the triggers to only create a company for a contact whose "associated company" is unknown, there is no way a new company will be created for a contact who has an "associated company" already known.

Or is it possible that a contact has more than one company? If yes, that would be a different scenario.

BukunmiOdetayo_0-1680049682469.png

To make this work better, you can add "a 2-hour delay" after the trigger to avoid any complications.

However, to address your question "How could I modify the workflow so if a company exists by domain, that the company is associated with the contact rather than a new Company being created?",

You can use the "if/then branch".  Choose "company property" -> search for "company domain name" -> "choose is known" and perform any other action you'll like.

BukunmiOdetayo_1-1680050116540.png

But I am thinking you may not need this.

Bukunmi (Matt) Odetayo

Discuss Your Hubspot Needs

MFranklin0
Participant

SOLVE

Matt, thanks for being quick in response. The answer provided by Karsten was more in alignment with what I needed. 

Martin 

0 Upvotes