CRM

reeves

Will uploading a blank field erase existing data?

SOLVE

If I upload data into Hubspot from an Excel sheet, and I leave the "first name" field blank on my spreadsheet, will that upload process ERASE whatever value may currently exist in the "first name" field of Hubspot?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @reeves,

I just double-checked and tested this on my end: Empty cells in an import file will not will not clear the property value in HubSpot. In that sense, a blank cell in the import file is ignored.

(Should you ever find yourself in the situation that you need to revert changes made by an import, this tutorial on reverting bulk property changes will come in handy.)

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
EFlores_Paula
Participant | Partner
Participant | Partner

SOLVE

"Creative" workaround.

Replace the fields with the word "Delete" (or some other unique value), then filter by whatever you used in your views and bulk replace the value with nothing, that will delete the contents of the field.

WSharpe
Participant

SOLVE

Hi, just to clarify, is this the best way to clear the contents of a field? I tried to clear the contents in excel and then import back in, but as the orginal post states, it does not clear the contents in HubSpot.

Thanks

0 Upvotes
BennyP
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi @EFlores_Paula thank you so much for this suggestion - it worked perfectly. It's not the ideal solution but works just fine. 

I had to leave some owners empty and the only way to do it was to assign the owner to myself and then, on the company list, filter by myself and then update property and select "no owner"

karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @reeves,

I just double-checked and tested this on my end: Empty cells in an import file will not will not clear the property value in HubSpot. In that sense, a blank cell in the import file is ignored.

(Should you ever find yourself in the situation that you need to revert changes made by an import, this tutorial on reverting bulk property changes will come in handy.)

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

reeves

SOLVE

Thank you!

0 Upvotes