CRM

orkunturkey
Participant

Why are new email senders assigned the Subscriber Lifecycle Stage

SOLVE

I have this problem with advertisers who send emails to our info@ or sales@ email inboxes automatically turning into subscribers. I wish to keep subscriber status to the people who actually subscribe to our blog only, and maybe the social media followers.  

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Josh
Solution
Recognized Expert | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

Hi @orkunturkey,

I agree with @PamCotton  on the idea that is currently in planning.  Customizing lifecycle stage would be great for this.

In the interim, my suggestion would be:

• Use a workflow to set these types of contacts to other
  • Potentially change the lead status to something that indicates the contact type
  • Add to an active list that you can exclude from marketing emails

You could expand on this process if you wanted, even changing subscription preferences.

Additionally, from reports, you could also exclude members of this list from contact reports you build, if those numbers are skewing your results.

Not a perfect solution, but it would at least help you send the right messages to the right people. 

Josh

Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

Josh Curcio

HubSpot support and inbound marketing for OEMs, contract manufacturers, and industrial suppliers.
HubSpot Platinum Partner & HubSpot Certified Trainer

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
callumpbirch

SOLVE

Hi @Josh, I'm having the same problem as @orkunturkey. Your workarounds sound good but I don't have access to the workflow feature on my Hubspot plan. We use conversations (gmail) so have lots of new contacts added that aren't sales-related. Manually checking and changing the lifecycle stage/subscription preferences of every contact is a monumental task. Is there any way - using free features - to stop these contacts being added as subscribers? The best solution I can think of is to not use lifecycle stages at all and use Zapier on the back to control movement between lists. In other words, accept that all new contacts will be added as subscribers and move actual sales/marketing contacts to lead status (using Zapier) so I can ignore the subscriber status. Is there a better way to achieve the same outcome?

0 Upvotes
Josh
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @orkunturkey,

I agree with @PamCotton  on the idea that is currently in planning.  Customizing lifecycle stage would be great for this.

In the interim, my suggestion would be:

• Use a workflow to set these types of contacts to other
  • Potentially change the lead status to something that indicates the contact type
  • Add to an active list that you can exclude from marketing emails

You could expand on this process if you wanted, even changing subscription preferences.

Additionally, from reports, you could also exclude members of this list from contact reports you build, if those numbers are skewing your results.

Not a perfect solution, but it would at least help you send the right messages to the right people. 

Josh

Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

Josh Curcio

HubSpot support and inbound marketing for OEMs, contract manufacturers, and industrial suppliers.
HubSpot Platinum Partner & HubSpot Certified Trainer

PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hello @orkunturkey 

I would like to share this idea here that is planning to be able to customize the lifecycle stages.

And also tag some of our top experts, @Josh@Dan1@Kapil_Arora, what would you recommend to @orkunturkey question?

Thank you!

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !