CRM

Anonymous
Not applicable

Where to view IP address for contacts

SOLVE

When I try to search for the IP address on the contact property, I don't see that property appear. Only properties for ip city, country code, state/region, and timezone appear.

Is there somewhere else I should be looking?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
jenniferlim
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @Anonymous ,

As of May 29, 2019, HubSpot does not collect or update the IP address as a contact property (read more here), which is why you're not seeing that property appear when you search for it.

Hope this helps! 

Jennifer

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
JAviste
Participant

SOLVE

A significant number of new contacts are bogus and are also steming from click farm entities hired by my competition to waste ad money and mess with my contact list. I think that Hubspot could offer protection from such fraud the way in which apps like clickease does. Also, Google will block IP addresses that you supply to them that are causing issues. The point is that it is possible to use IP addresses like this without compromising privacy.

jenniferlim
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @Anonymous ,

As of May 29, 2019, HubSpot does not collect or update the IP address as a contact property (read more here), which is why you're not seeing that property appear when you search for it.

Hope this helps! 

Jennifer

ramsay

SOLVE

Hello Jenniferlim,

It would be highly beneficial to have the IP addresses tracked, and available for the Hubspot users. At present time we are dealing with someone sending threats of violence and harassment for months via the livechat feature that is hooked to our website and integrated with hubspot, which has resulted in us needing to involve the police force, and making continous requests to Hubspot for IP address review. 

0 Upvotes
kvlschaefer
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @ramsay,

Thank you for your product feedback and I'm sorry for any business impact this matter has caused. 

I would highly recommend you to please post this product suggestion at our ideas forum.

Our product team, who monitors the forum regularly, can read your specific use case and understand why this would be a useful functionality or change. It also helps other customers facing the same issue to advocate for its implementation on your behalf by upvoting on the thread as well. 

Thank you,

Kristen

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !
Brenda_LegacyDN
Member | Partner
Member | Partner

SOLVE

Can I ask why Hubspot stopped collecting this information? I understand the privacy issue, but the ability to block a known spammy IP address would be welcome.

In the past few weeks we've seen a very noticeable uptick in spam/accusatory email outreach using contact forms on Hubspot pages demanding images be removed (they're ours) from websites hosted on HS. These emails are deliberately vague enough to elicit responses from our customers asking "what image" they're referring to, so the sender can "send" a picture of the image (virus bait).

Without the IP addy, there's no way to track who/where they're coming from and I'm concerned one of my clients may not understand the repercussions and implications of receiving such an email and opening such a file. They're just concerned about the possibility of breaking copyright laws.

0 Upvotes
PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hello @Brenda_LegacyDN ,

This decision was made because IP addresses are considered personal data under some data privacy laws. Further, IP address is considered more sensitive data as it deals with location and requires consent for collection and processing.

They are existing data privacy laws (such as GDPR or other data privacy laws). This is higher risk data. Our team decided to not continue to collect it on contact records.

You will be able to see more information on this Community post here.

Kindly,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !