CRM

kanghy
Member | Partner
Member | Partner

What is the difference between 'Open' and 'Open Deal' in the lead status property?

SOLVE

What is the difference between 'Open' and 'Open Deal' in the lead status property?

Other status makes sense, but 'Open' feels very ambiguous for me.

Could anyone enlighten me?

Appreciated.

2 Accepted solutions
Josh
Solution
Recognized Expert | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

Hi @kanghy,

Please keep in mind, these can be modified to better match your process. In general, here's how I would summarize the difference.

• Open: One step beyond new; potentially a rep has "claimed" this lead, but not yet started the activity. They could be doing research on the prospect or have a scheduled activity in the future.
  • Open Deal: This would be a prospect in which a deal has been created and actively worked. It hasn't been closed won or closed lost yet.

My recommendation is to be sure that the options in this dropdown are adjusted to what's best for you and your team.

Josh 

Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

Josh Curcio

HubSpot support and inbound marketing for OEMs, contract manufacturers, and industrial suppliers.
HubSpot Platinum Partner & HubSpot Certified Trainer

View solution in original post

karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @kanghy,

The best definitions for the default values of Lead status can be found in this blog post: https://blog.hubspot.com/customers/manage-sales-process-hubspot-lead-status Funnily enough, it omits the "Open" lead status.

"Open" is usually defined as a record that requires follow-up. These would be leads that are not "New" anymore ("leads you have not yet reached out to") but that should receive follow-up, i.e. leads that you've contacted before but that need additional attention.

"Open Deal" is defined as "These are leads that have expressed interest in buying your product or service. You've already opened a deal with them."

The good news is: If you don't like these values, you don't have to use them. They are simply a suggestion and you can customize the property.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @kanghy,

The best definitions for the default values of Lead status can be found in this blog post: https://blog.hubspot.com/customers/manage-sales-process-hubspot-lead-status Funnily enough, it omits the "Open" lead status.

"Open" is usually defined as a record that requires follow-up. These would be leads that are not "New" anymore ("leads you have not yet reached out to") but that should receive follow-up, i.e. leads that you've contacted before but that need additional attention.

"Open Deal" is defined as "These are leads that have expressed interest in buying your product or service. You've already opened a deal with them."

The good news is: If you don't like these values, you don't have to use them. They are simply a suggestion and you can customize the property.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

Josh
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @kanghy,

Please keep in mind, these can be modified to better match your process. In general, here's how I would summarize the difference.

• Open: One step beyond new; potentially a rep has "claimed" this lead, but not yet started the activity. They could be doing research on the prospect or have a scheduled activity in the future.
  • Open Deal: This would be a prospect in which a deal has been created and actively worked. It hasn't been closed won or closed lost yet.

My recommendation is to be sure that the options in this dropdown are adjusted to what's best for you and your team.

Josh 

Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

Josh Curcio

HubSpot support and inbound marketing for OEMs, contract manufacturers, and industrial suppliers.
HubSpot Platinum Partner & HubSpot Certified Trainer