CRM

BGoldsmith

Using the HubSpot Forwarding Address

Hi,

I've been using the HubSpot forwarding address to log emails after we have received them - for most cases these are older emails that we receieved prior to using HubSpot - but have come across a slight issue.

When forwarding an email, the email itself will only log against two contacts in our CRM. The first email recipient and the first recipient in the CC. Is there a way for HubSpot to log the email against all recipients in the email - say for instance an email that was sent to 3 or 4 contacts.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help!
Ben

0 Upvotes
3 Replies 3
MiaSrebrnjak
Community Manager
Community Manager

The expected behavior when forwarding emails (with the help of the FWD address) with contacts in CC to HubSpot is that emails are logged on all contact records in the CRM, for email addresses in the To: and Cc: field.

Edited for clarity: 

The expected behavior when logging emails with contacts in CC in HubSpot (with the help of the HubSpot BCC address) is that emails are logged on all relevant contact records in the CRM, for email addresses in the To: and Cc: fields. 

Two possible reasons why this isn't working as expected: 

• If you forward an email with contacts in Cc to the CRM with the help of the HubSpot forwarding address, this won't automatically create new contact records for contacts in CC. In other words: if a contact that you've put in CC in an email isn't a contact in your CRM, forwarding that email to the CRM with the HubSpot forwarding address won't create a new contact record. 
  • If you included an email address in CC that is connected with your HubSpot account as a team email in Conversations, the email will log in the tool Conversations, but won't log on the contact record for that email (if there is one in your CRM). 

I hope this helps!

Wusstest du, dass es auch eine DACH-Community gibt?
Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, indem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by
changing your language settings

miaumaomi
Participant

Hi @MiaSrebrnjak thank you for writing on this topic. I am having trouble understanding your response here. If I forward an email to Hubspot, which message header lines will create logs or create contacts? 

In the example below, which people will be logged?

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Wed, Feb 2, 2022 at 3:24 PM
Subject: Meeting Agenda
To: [Person B], [Person C]
Cc: [Person D], [Person E]

For reference, I have also asked about this here: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/CRM/Creating-new-Contacts-by-forwarding-emails-to-Hubspot-does-it/m...

0 Upvotes
MiaSrebrnjak
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @BGoldsmith,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community! 

There are a few different variables that come into play when logging emails in the CRM.  When logging emails, HubSpot should log the email on an existing contact record for anyone who's CC'ed. We did see instances in the past when HubSpot parsed only the first contact that was CC'ed on an email forwarded to the CRM. 

In order to investigate this further, I would like to ask you to send me a direct message with the following infomation:

• the HubID and the email address of the HubSpot user that logged the email via the forwarding address,
  • the email client the user is using. Did that user install our Sales add-in?
  • It would be great if you're able to provide us with the headers of the forwarded email? You can get the header by searching for the forwarded email in your sent folder and then using this guide. 

Thank you!

Cheers

Mia

Wusstest du, dass es auch eine DACH-Community gibt?
Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, indem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by
changing your language settings