CRM

ThomasP

User permissions and contact ownership

SOLVE

Hi,

I'm new in the community, and have used Hubspot for a few weeks only. So sorry if my question seems naïve... 

I've just created a new team contact, because I'd like my colleague to use hubspot too. But I wonder if it would be possible that he did'nt access to my personal contacts and its activity. How can I do that ? I assigned my contact as owner of my personal contacts, but he still has the possibility to view them and access our history. 

Is there anyway we can preserve confidentiality of our mails with our personal contacts, so that other users of hubspot don't access to them ? 

Thank you for your answer. 

1 Accepted solution
roisinkirby
Solution
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Hey @ThomasP - welcome to the Community!

I moved your post from the Welcome Board to the Sales Support board to make sure you get the answers you need - and don't worry, there is no such thing as a 'naieve' question! 

It is certainly possible restrict other users in your account from viewing contact/company records that they do not own. To do this you'll need to go to Settings > Users > Click on the pencil icon by the the user's name > and select the dropdown menu next to View

Here you can restrict the user's visiblity to all contacts they own, or contacts they own and unassigned contacts - whichever you prefer!

Let me know if you have any further questions on this, or if I can help to further answer your question. If you search are knowledge base for 'user permissions' you'll finde the HubSpot User Roles Guide

Screen Shot 2016-12-09 at 10.34.12 AM.png

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
7 Replies 7
roisinkirby
Solution
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Hey @ThomasP - welcome to the Community!

I moved your post from the Welcome Board to the Sales Support board to make sure you get the answers you need - and don't worry, there is no such thing as a 'naieve' question! 

It is certainly possible restrict other users in your account from viewing contact/company records that they do not own. To do this you'll need to go to Settings > Users > Click on the pencil icon by the the user's name > and select the dropdown menu next to View

Here you can restrict the user's visiblity to all contacts they own, or contacts they own and unassigned contacts - whichever you prefer!

Let me know if you have any further questions on this, or if I can help to further answer your question. If you search are knowledge base for 'user permissions' you'll finde the HubSpot User Roles Guide

Screen Shot 2016-12-09 at 10.34.12 AM.png

0 Upvotes
corleap

SOLVE

@roisinkirby

I have run into an issue with the "View only owned" and " View Everything" options with my group of users. I added a contact with an @palmbeachschools.org email address. This is the standard email for all teachers in our district regardless of school. Whenever one of my sales team adds a different teacher email from a different school with the same domain (@palmbeachschools.org) it saves that contact as owned by me instead of owned by her. It's happened four or five times, and I've had to open everyones settings to "View Everything" which is a problem in the long run. 

Is there a way around this?

0 Upvotes
roisinkirby
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Hey @corleap do you have a Company Record in your CRM with this same domain? If so, who owns that company record?

0 Upvotes
corleap

SOLVE

@roisinkirby

It automatically created a company for the district after the first email (owned by me). I have since deleted that company hoping it would resolve the issue, but have not been confident enough to restore settings to view only.

Is that the easy answer? Don't create a company and all will work itself out.

0 Upvotes
roisinkirby
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Hey @corleap the HubSpot CRM automatically creates and associates company records by email domain. You can disable this feature. Full instructions here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/contacts/how-does-the-automatically-associate-con...

Let me know if these solves both problems for you or not!

0 Upvotes
corleap

SOLVE

@roisinkirby

That would definitley solve the problem, but we do use that function for every other contact/company we create. The only time we've had a problem was the school district since technically every single teacher has the same email, even if they work at different schools. 

Is there a way to disable the association that one domain? Or possibly don't create a company for the school district of palm beach?

0 Upvotes
roisinkirby
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Currently this isn't possible. HubSpot operates on email association, so can only be wholly enabled/disabled. 

0 Upvotes