CRM

debriefconsult
Participant

Updating properties via upload

SOLVE

Hi folks!

Quick question - I usually update contacts and company information via uploading enriched files.

For example, I match the contact e-mail between Hubspot and th upload file, as the primary record match, and hope Hubspot transfers all other fields from the upload file, adding or replacing those fields in Hubspot.

Do you know if Hubspot works like this? 

Thanks in advance!

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
shearn
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

The Email Address field is the primary identifier for a contact in HubSpot. When uploading data, all information can be the same as an existing contact, but if the email address is different it will create a new contact.

The key to uploading pre-filled fields from a .csv file into HubSpot is making sure you have them already created in HubSpot (Contact Settings -> Create a property). HubSpot will not automatically create properties that are not in the system. (i.e. If you have Organization Code as a property in your .csv but not in HubSpot, it won't upload that property)

If you have matching properties in both your upload file and in HubSpot the data you're uploading will overwrite and/or populate those properties. 

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

shearn
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

In order for multiple options to be selected and recorded, you would need to have the field set up as a multi-checkbox or a multi-line text box (not as user-friendly as it's more difficult to segment by the data in this type of field for lists, filters, etc.). 

In your upload you will need to have the values separated like this for a multi-checkbox: (;value 2;value 3; value 4).

ex: ;Marketing;Technology;Networking

Reference: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/contacts/how-do-i-add-values-to-a-checkbox-field-...

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
shearn
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

The Email Address field is the primary identifier for a contact in HubSpot. When uploading data, all information can be the same as an existing contact, but if the email address is different it will create a new contact.

The key to uploading pre-filled fields from a .csv file into HubSpot is making sure you have them already created in HubSpot (Contact Settings -> Create a property). HubSpot will not automatically create properties that are not in the system. (i.e. If you have Organization Code as a property in your .csv but not in HubSpot, it won't upload that property)

If you have matching properties in both your upload file and in HubSpot the data you're uploading will overwrite and/or populate those properties. 

debriefconsult
Participant

SOLVE

Shearn,

Fantastic - thanks for clarification.

Quick remaining question - for a field whose format allows for multiple values (example: multiple industry categories my contact can fit in, or multiple marketing activities the contact has been flagged against), will Hubspot "add" data to the field instead of fully replacing the field existing data?

Thanks again for the help.

best regards,

Marcio

shearn
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

In order for multiple options to be selected and recorded, you would need to have the field set up as a multi-checkbox or a multi-line text box (not as user-friendly as it's more difficult to segment by the data in this type of field for lists, filters, etc.). 

In your upload you will need to have the values separated like this for a multi-checkbox: (;value 2;value 3; value 4).

ex: ;Marketing;Technology;Networking

Reference: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/contacts/how-do-i-add-values-to-a-checkbox-field-...

danielbenchi

SOLVE

I have the same problem and I couldn´t find a solution. In the link https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/contacts/how-do-i-add-values-to-a-checkbox-field-... say "it's not possible to append values to a multiple checkboxes property with an existing value.". That what I need is to add insted to replace a property when import a CSV file into the CRM. Is it possible?

0 Upvotes
spk1212
Contributor

SOLVE

That is the fundamental problem here though.  Matching by domain names and deduping is a really bad way to do it.  What if I have multiple company locations with the same web address?  What if my clients don't have web addresses?

It seems really silly that the system assigns a unique company ID, I can export this ID as part of the company file, then make my changes to the file, but I cannot re-upload the file against that unique identifier?  That is headshakingly silly.

0 Upvotes
debriefconsult
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks again!

0 Upvotes
IvanKarp
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Great info! Thanks for sharing that!