CRM

lmilliken
Participant

Updating Multiple Checkboxes field overwrites values instead of add

SOLVE

Hi there,

For example, if a contact has "Value 1; Value 3" for a field.  And if I do a bulk edit because I want to add a "Value 4" to the field, it overwrites the previous values and just lists "Value 4".  What I actually want to do is update the field to  "Value 1; Value 3; Value 4".

Any thoughts/ideas?

1 Accepted solution
lmilliken
Solution
Participant

SOLVE
7 Replies 7
RBozeman
Participant

SOLVE

@lmilliken It has been a while since you posted this, but if you are looking for a solution to updating checkbox fields, Insycle (who I work for, for full transparency) allows you to easily append checkbox values in CSV imports to existing data in HubSpot CRM. That way you don't have to worry about historical checkbox data being overwritten when you just want to add new data. You can also subtract data from checkbox fields as well.

We recently published a blog article on this topic that dives a bit deeper into how it works. 

0 Upvotes
kimvdw
Participant

SOLVE

If you import data via Excel and want to add the new value (append) instead of overwriting existing values, all you have to do is put a semicolon before the value you're importing.

For example: you're importing a list of people who participate in an activity, say running. Some of those people may already be in HubSpot with other activities, let's say swimming and hiking. You don't want to overwrite those activities, you want to add running to them. What you have to do is create a column activities and write ';running' for all your new entries. Then you import your Excel. You'll see that existing entries will say 'activities: swimming, hiking, running'. They have been updated with the new activity, not overwritten.

*Don't forget that your new value has to be created under properties before you import, otherwise it won't import anyhow.

**(You probably knew already that you can import multiple options in one import by seperating them with a ; in the same cell. So ';running;swimming' will add both swimming and running to the already existing hiking.)

Aleeson
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hey there- Cheers for engaging with the Community.

I know it's not the most elegant solution, but if you have a List you want to bulk edit you could try exporting the List, editing it such that you're appending the data with the options you want as described here, then re-importing the list.

As long as you include an email or Contact ID property, the imported list should append the options onto the existing contacts without removing any previously selected options.

Hope this helps!

Al

0 Upvotes
lmilliken
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks @Aleeson , yes that is a workaround.  This is definitely a product feature suggestion!

0 Upvotes
Aleeson
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

@lmilliken if you're ever looking to suggest something as a product feature, make sure to put it in the Ideas Forum instead of the forum associated with that particular tool! Our Product Team actually browses that and considers ideas posted there. 

Just letting you know as I'm not involved with the development or product side of things at all! 🙂

lmilliken
Solution
Participant

SOLVE
Aleeson
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Heading to upvote it now!  

Stay safe,