CRM

edington23

Updating Lifecycle Stage based on Lead Status

SOLVE

Hello community - looking for some feedback about updating the Lifecycle Stage based on the Lead Status field. Ex: MQL is in an open status.  If the sales team accepts the lead, they will attempt to contact / contact the lead.  I want to automate the Lifecycle Stage to update to SQL if the Lead Status field is changed to Attempted to Contact or Contacted.  Thoughts on how to accomplish this? Thanks much!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
bradmin
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi, @edington23. While the title of this help article might not match what you asked, the second use case describes what you're trying to do. 

Using workflows to set lifecycle stage is absolutely something you can accomplish in the Marketing product. However, there's a special built-in behavior with lifecycle stage which doesn't exist with other properties: Left to its own devices, Lifecycle Stage can never move "backwards" through the funnel. 

If you're not looking to modify that behavior, you won't need to take any action. But any time you start talking about automating Lifecycle Stage changes, you'll want workflows which takes whatever that criteria is, and updates the property by first clearing it out entirely, then setting it to the desired value. 

Clearing the Lifecycle Stage value, then setting it to whatever you like, eliminates the built-in validation which prevents "backwards" changes. It's also a best practice for any lifecycle stage automation, whether you intend on moving forwards or backwards. 

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
1 Reply 1
bradmin
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi, @edington23. While the title of this help article might not match what you asked, the second use case describes what you're trying to do. 

Using workflows to set lifecycle stage is absolutely something you can accomplish in the Marketing product. However, there's a special built-in behavior with lifecycle stage which doesn't exist with other properties: Left to its own devices, Lifecycle Stage can never move "backwards" through the funnel. 

If you're not looking to modify that behavior, you won't need to take any action. But any time you start talking about automating Lifecycle Stage changes, you'll want workflows which takes whatever that criteria is, and updates the property by first clearing it out entirely, then setting it to the desired value. 

Clearing the Lifecycle Stage value, then setting it to whatever you like, eliminates the built-in validation which prevents "backwards" changes. It's also a best practice for any lifecycle stage automation, whether you intend on moving forwards or backwards. 

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.
0 Upvotes