Update Total Revenue Field When Contracts Expire

Occasional Contributor

The HubSpot field "total revenue" on the company record totals all the "amounts" from all closed won deals at that company. We need that, but it's not accurate if a contract has expired. We created a contract end date field on the deal record and would like to be able to subtract that amount once the contract expires. 

This is important for any company that sells multiple times (eg, multiple SKUs) into one company. 

This is also important for calculating Churn values which currently isn't possible in HubSpot.

0 Upvotes
9 Replies 9
Community Superstar

_hubspot-button-accept-as-solution-gif-v00.gif

Help other HubSpot searchers find this post quickly by accepting this solution today.

Excellent suggestions. You may wish to add to a new or existing thread in HubSpot Ideas.

You'll typically get much more traction from the HubSpot Community AND the Ideas Forum is where HubSpot Product Teams monitor suggestions for popularity -- i.e., VOTES! Smiley Happy

Does that help answer your question? If so, remember to accept this solution today so other searchers will find it fast.

Best,
Frank

hubspot-solutions-signature-mfrankjohnson-v03.png

www.MFrankJohnson.com

Hope that helps.

Best,
Frank

MFrankJohnson-dot-com-HubSpot-Community-banner-gif-v20190817

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

I'd like to understand the business case a little more.

Do I have this right?

• You win a deal for $1,000 
  • The customer pays $500 and then cancels
  • You need the deal to be adjusted so that the "Total Revenue" reflects reality -- that they only paid $500

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

Hi @robsobers, thanks for the reply.

Actually the case is the following:

1. Close deal for $1,000 at Company X for SKU 123 with contract end date in September 2018 (Total revenue = $1,000)

2. Close deal for $2,000 at the same Company X for SKU 456 with contract end date in April 2019 (Total revenue = $3,000)

3. Company X does not renew deal #1 for SKU 123

4. HubSpot "total revenue" field decreases from $3,000 -> $2,000, subtracting the SKU revenue they are no longer subscribed to

Hope this helps clarify.

Hansen

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

Hi Hansen,

I don't follow. Do you give the money back if they don't renew the SKU 123 contract? I'm not clear why you'd want to decrease total revenue, which is tracking total lifetime value for a customer.

-Rob

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

@robsobers sorry for confusion.

There should be two fields:

Total Lifetime Revenue (the current field as it is would do that)

Total Current Revenue (my pain point). 

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

Hi Hansen,

I think maintaining a separate custom property called "Total Current Revenue" is smart. It obviously won't update automatically based on deal values like the built-in "Total Revenue" field does.

It sounds like you need to sum up all Deals for a Contact where "Expired = False" and that's your Total Current Revenue value. I can't think of a good way to do this without using the API.

-Rob 

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

Agree, I exhausted my attempts. Wishlist

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Last ditch attempt:

• Deal workflow triggered when the expiration date is updated
  • Trigger Zapier
  • Zapier can take the Deal, grab the Contact attached to the Deal
  • Zapier can do math, so it can subtract the Deal amount from the Contact's Total Current Revenue field and write the new value back

I've done a bunch of Deal automations like this in Zapier before with HubSpot.

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

@robsobers thanks a ton for that idea. We are implementing and integrating ChurnZero right now and hoping it will do that math for us. Otherwise I'll come back to this Zapier idea and may ping you if I have trouble setting it up.

Thanks,

Hansen

0 Upvotes