CRM

deannajga
Participant

Unengaged Contact Manual Override

SOLVE

I have an "unengaged contact" who has asked to begin receiving our emails again. How can I manually remove her from the Unengaged Contacts list HubSpot creates? 

0 Upvotes
3 Accepted solutions
CHansen7
Solution
Contributor | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hello @deannajga

Here is an idea of a potential workaround. From what I understand, there is no way to remove a contact from HubSpot's unengaged contact list. But, you could create your own unengaged contact list. You can do this by creating a static list and copying the criteria HubSpot uses to define an unengaged contact. Then manually remove the contacts you do now want on that list. To remove someone from a list go to the desired list, select the check box to the left of a contact's name, and in the bar above the contacts, a "-Remove from list" button appears. Click that button then click "Remove" in the dialog box that appears.

You can then use this list in an email. You can select this list in the "Don't send to" section in the "Send or schedule" tab of an email. There are some catches. This idea works great for small lists that do not change much. But people will not get added automatically because it is a static list. Contacts can not be removed from active lists. This static list will require more manual input to add and remove contacts. Workflows can help automate some aspects.

I will link two knowledge base articles below that go over the ideas I mentioned including building the workflows for static lists and criteria for unengaged contacts.

Understand graymail and avoid sending email to unengaged contacts

Add or remove contacts from a list

linkedin

Carson Hansen

Pearagon

Was I able to help answer your question? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

www.pearagon.com

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @deannajga,

HubSpot considers a contact as unengaged when they have:

• Never opened a marketing email from you and hasn't opened the last 11 emails you've sent them.
  • Previously opened a marketing email from you but haven't opened the last 16 emails you've sent them.

This information is pulled from the Sends since last engagement property. The behavior of this unengaged contact suppression cannot be changed.

However, the checkbox in the Recipients tab of your email can simply be unchecked and you could create your own unengaged contact suppression. You would have to add this for every single email where you want to apply this.

Your own unengaged contact list would have to be an active list, not a static list. (If it was static, it would not dynamically add or remove contacts based on their email activity.) If you wanted to rebuild HubSpot's exact criteria, it would look like this:

karstenkoehler_0-1649437530204.png

You could of course seize the opportunity and define your own threshold.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Upvotes
deannajga
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks to both of you. I may have found my own work around solution. I went into the most recent marketing email I had sent and selected the "send to more" option. Then selected that individual contact in the send to option as the only contact for the additional send and unselected "don't send to unengaged contacts." I let the contact know to be on the lookout for the resent marketing email and to check her spam folder. I'm assuming if she opens that email, she will no longer be classified as "unengaged" by HubSpot and should be able to receive future marketing emails. Fingers crossed!

0 Upvotes
4 Replies 4
deannajga
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks to both of you. I may have found my own work around solution. I went into the most recent marketing email I had sent and selected the "send to more" option. Then selected that individual contact in the send to option as the only contact for the additional send and unselected "don't send to unengaged contacts." I let the contact know to be on the lookout for the resent marketing email and to check her spam folder. I'm assuming if she opens that email, she will no longer be classified as "unengaged" by HubSpot and should be able to receive future marketing emails. Fingers crossed!

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @deannajga,

Correct, that's also an option. It doesn't scale very well but should indeed reset the Sends since last engagement property and exclude the contact from suppression in the future.

If you still found my reply helpful, you can make it easier for others to find this information by accepting it as a solution. I'd appreciate it!

Have a great weekend!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @deannajga,

HubSpot considers a contact as unengaged when they have:

• Never opened a marketing email from you and hasn't opened the last 11 emails you've sent them.
  • Previously opened a marketing email from you but haven't opened the last 16 emails you've sent them.

This information is pulled from the Sends since last engagement property. The behavior of this unengaged contact suppression cannot be changed.

However, the checkbox in the Recipients tab of your email can simply be unchecked and you could create your own unengaged contact suppression. You would have to add this for every single email where you want to apply this.

Your own unengaged contact list would have to be an active list, not a static list. (If it was static, it would not dynamically add or remove contacts based on their email activity.) If you wanted to rebuild HubSpot's exact criteria, it would look like this:

karstenkoehler_0-1649437530204.png

You could of course seize the opportunity and define your own threshold.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
CHansen7
Solution

SOLVE

Hello @deannajga

Here is an idea of a potential workaround. From what I understand, there is no way to remove a contact from HubSpot's unengaged contact list. But, you could create your own unengaged contact list. You can do this by creating a static list and copying the criteria HubSpot uses to define an unengaged contact. Then manually remove the contacts you do now want on that list. To remove someone from a list go to the desired list, select the check box to the left of a contact's name, and in the bar above the contacts, a "-Remove from list" button appears. Click that button then click "Remove" in the dialog box that appears.

You can then use this list in an email. You can select this list in the "Don't send to" section in the "Send or schedule" tab of an email. There are some catches. This idea works great for small lists that do not change much. But people will not get added automatically because it is a static list. Contacts can not be removed from active lists. This static list will require more manual input to add and remove contacts. Workflows can help automate some aspects.

I will link two knowledge base articles below that go over the ideas I mentioned including building the workflows for static lists and criteria for unengaged contacts.

Understand graymail and avoid sending email to unengaged contacts

Add or remove contacts from a list

linkedin

Carson Hansen

Pearagon

Was I able to help answer your question? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

www.pearagon.com
0 Upvotes