CRM

Nigel-A
Participant

Undoing a workflow nightmare - How do I create a rock solid Country workflow?

SOLVE

Hello HS Community!

I'm hoping someone might be able to suggest something here that will stop the insanity! 

We moved from Salesforce to HubSpot around a year ago. As HubSpot Super-Admin I'm now discovering that our data policies that were in place with Salesforce were VERY questionable indeed (I wasn't Salesforce Admin), essentially the company used Salesforce as a glorified excel spreadsheet and on top of that didn't really care what information was in what fields or whether that information was correct or not. 

To make things worse, when we transferred to HubSpot the data we pulled across from Salesforce wasn't cleaned properly. So the nightmare I now face is that we appear to have contacts that are based in Australia (for example) but have Canada listed in the Country property.

As you can imagine this means our Marketing department are not very happy when they filter by Country to market specifically to a country only to find that other countries sprinkle themselves through the data... in short I'm copping a bit of flack for a data hangover that should have been fixed before the data was transferred in the first place.

So... my question is this. Has anyone got a suggestion for a rock-solid workflow that can help sort this mess out? I'm thinking any workflow I put in place would need to have multiple data points to check on before allocating a country just so its right, but, as the saying goes ''ya don't know what ya don't know'' I'm not sure what points those should be. 

Any suggestions/actual workflows would be VERY Welcome 🙂 

Thanks in Advance! 

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Nigel-A,

Let's start by compiling properties that could help here:

IP country (Contact property)

Preferred language (Contact property)

Email domain (Contact property)

Recent conversion (Contact property)

Country (Company property)

You'd have to evaluate each of these in terms of their expected accuracy and then create a hierarchy. For example. If, for example, you're working with country-specific landing pages, then the recent form submission or Recent conversion might be the most accurate data point (e.g. a person who has filled out an Italian landing page could be assumed to have Country/Region Italy.) If you've previously captured the Preferred language in forms, that might also help.

Once you've defined a hierarchy of these properties (= expected accuracy), you could work with HubSpot workflows, e.g. if IP country is known, copy information into Country/Region. If IP country is unknown, check Email domain next. If the Email domain contains ".fr", set Country/Region to France etc.

Depending on the format of the value in the source field, you might have to work with a lot of branches. For example, Preferred language could not be copied 1:1, since it would say Polish instead of Poland. You'd have to set-up if/then branches for each language. (If Preferred language is Polish, set Country to Poland.)

Of course, instead of a workflow, you could also manage all of this in an Excel sheet after exporting all of your contact date, before later re-importing it.

Worst case, if none of the data points are reliable, you'd set all your money on HubSpot Insights. HubSpot Insights populates the Country field on the company record based on third party data, web crawling and crowsourcing. You would simply copy this information from the company record into the contact record.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Nigel-A,

Let's start by compiling properties that could help here:

IP country (Contact property)

Preferred language (Contact property)

Email domain (Contact property)

Recent conversion (Contact property)

Country (Company property)

You'd have to evaluate each of these in terms of their expected accuracy and then create a hierarchy. For example. If, for example, you're working with country-specific landing pages, then the recent form submission or Recent conversion might be the most accurate data point (e.g. a person who has filled out an Italian landing page could be assumed to have Country/Region Italy.) If you've previously captured the Preferred language in forms, that might also help.

Once you've defined a hierarchy of these properties (= expected accuracy), you could work with HubSpot workflows, e.g. if IP country is known, copy information into Country/Region. If IP country is unknown, check Email domain next. If the Email domain contains ".fr", set Country/Region to France etc.

Depending on the format of the value in the source field, you might have to work with a lot of branches. For example, Preferred language could not be copied 1:1, since it would say Polish instead of Poland. You'd have to set-up if/then branches for each language. (If Preferred language is Polish, set Country to Poland.)

Of course, instead of a workflow, you could also manage all of this in an Excel sheet after exporting all of your contact date, before later re-importing it.

Worst case, if none of the data points are reliable, you'd set all your money on HubSpot Insights. HubSpot Insights populates the Country field on the company record based on third party data, web crawling and crowsourcing. You would simply copy this information from the company record into the contact record.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.