CRM

MWanson
Participant | Partner
Participant | Partner

Types of List: Active vs Dynamic vs Static

SOLVE

Hello all,

I am new and still learning more about HubSpot. I can see that there are 2 types of Lists which are Active and Static. On a static list, it is manually updated, while the Active list automatically updates depending on the set criteria. What is a Dynamic List? Is a Dynamic list the same as an Active list? Where do you usually use a Dynamic list?

Thank you

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @MWanson,

Dynamic lists would be synonymous with active lists; they automatically update their members based on their criteria. Static lists only include records who meet the criteria at the exact time when their saved.

You can learn more about types of lists here.

Let me know if this answers your question!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
kvlschaefer
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @MWanson 

Happy to help! An Active List is HubSpot terminology for a Dynamic List, so they are the same thing 🙂

An active list updates based on properties you specify in the filters section of the lists tool. Here are some examples of active list criteria:

• Sending unique marketing emails based on each contact's behavior and properties. For example, you could filter contacts who have only interacted with 5 or marketing email opens. 
  • Group contacts on a certain property for outreach purposes. For example, Lifecycle Stage = lead or Lead Status = customer. 
  • Group contacts based on their geographical region for a country-based webinar. You could use this list for marketing outreach purposes. 

This knowledge base article goes over the differences between static and active lists, along with some helpful examples: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/lists/create-active-or-static-lists#types-of-lists 

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !
0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @MWanson,

Dynamic lists would be synonymous with active lists; they automatically update their members based on their criteria. Static lists only include records who meet the criteria at the exact time when their saved.

You can learn more about types of lists here.

Let me know if this answers your question!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

KAdams6
Participant

SOLVE

Doesn't dynamic mean that the list only shows criteria for the person who is logged into Hubspot?  Meaning, I only see leads, deals, etc, that I am the owner on?

0 Upvotes
MWanson
Participant | Partner
Participant | Partner

SOLVE

Thank you. But, what would be the difference between an active list and a dynamic list? 

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

There isn't any difference, @MWanson. It's exactly the same thing. In HubSpot, you won't find anything named "dynamic list", it's another word for an active list.

Karsten Köhler

MWanson
Participant | Partner
Participant | Partner

SOLVE

Thank you so much for clarifying.

0 Upvotes