Hola! ¡Tenemos nuestra Comunidad en Español!

Two contacts, 1 email address

SOLVE
Occasional Contributor

Is there any way to assign the same email address to two different contacts?  I would like profiles for up to 3 or 4 different contacts to track separate interactions but they share a sales@suchandsuch.com type address.  Is there no way to give them each their own distinct profile while using the same email address?  I'm not concerned that all emails will be tracked to all profiles.

Thank you in advance.

Matt

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Thought Leader | Diamond Partner

Hi @theXO

It's not possible I'm afraid. HubSpot uses email address as the unique identifier for contact de-duplication, so entering a second name to an existing email address just overwrites the first one entered. 

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution.

Phil Vallender

Inbound marketing for B2B technology companies
Diamond HubSpot Partner

9 Replies
Community Thought Leader | Diamond Partner

Hi @theXO

It's not possible I'm afraid. HubSpot uses email address as the unique identifier for contact de-duplication, so entering a second name to an existing email address just overwrites the first one entered. 

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution.

Phil Vallender

Inbound marketing for B2B technology companies
Diamond HubSpot Partner

Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your help Phil.

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

Could this thread be moved to Hubspot Ideas.

Most of my old customers use only one email for the couple. When i want to email one more than the other and would like to have the note in their respective profile, it get complicated. I have to copy paste...

Thanks

New Contributor

I have the same issue.  2 clients in the household, 1 email address for the both...takes up more time to "copy and paste" into the "other" record.

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

This is going to create problems for me.  Some of my client contacts have shared email addresses.  Not being able to add both with the same address is an issue.  Is there a workaround?

Esteemed Contributor | Platinum Partner

Removing duplicate comment

Matthew Shepherd

An Inbound Growth Agency
Platinum HubSpot Partner

0 Upvotes

Removing duplicate comment

Matthew Shepherd

An Inbound Growth Agency
Platinum HubSpot Partner

0 Upvotes

This is an issue we often struggle with.

I can't guarantee that this is the right solution, but a workaround I'm exploring at the moment is adding an incremental string and number into the email addresses, to allow us to create a second contact record, and then opting out those incorrect emails (by importing as an opt-out list - i.e. never contact unless the contact manually opts in).

You want to add a short string and number to the email (and not at the end so it still validates) to make sure everyone can using the crm can be sure that this is an invalid email that we created on purpose e.g. myname-hs-multi1@test.com.

If you have a lot of these contacts working with them in an Excel workbook can help with adding those incremental string and numbers and then creating a list of contacts (with invalid incremental email addresses) for opt out.

Here's how I do that in Excel:

First Name     Last Name      Email                            Count  Multi Identifier  Final Email 

MatthewShepherdtest@test.com1 test@test.com
JoeSmithtest@test.com2-hs-multi1test-hs-multi1@test.com
JackBlacktest@test.com3-hs-multi2test-hs-multi2@test.com
MatthewShepherdhello@test.com1 hello@test.com
JoeSmithhello@test.com2-hs-multi1hello-hs-multi1@test.com

With formulas:

First NameLast Name Email                      Count                                    Multi Identifier              

MatthewShepherdtest@test.com=COUNTIF($C$1:C2,C2)=IF(D2>1,"-hs-multi"&D2-1,"")=SUBSTITUTE(C2,"@",E2&"@")
JoeSmithtest@test.com=COUNTIF($C$1:C3,C3)=IF(D3>1,"-hs-multi"&D3-1,"")=SUBSTITUTE(C3,"@",E3&"@")
JackBlacktest@test.com=COUNTIF($C$1:C4,C4)=IF(D4>1,"-hs-multi"&D4-1,"")=SUBSTITUTE(C4,"@",E4&"@")
MatthewShepherdhello@test.com=COUNTIF($C$1:C5,C5)=IF(D5>1,"-hs-multi"&D5-1,"")=SUBSTITUTE(C5,"@",E5&"@")
JoeSmithhello@test.com=COUNTIF($C$1:C6,C6)=IF(D6>1,"-hs-multi"&D6-1,"")=SUBSTITUTE(C6,"@",E6&"@")

That way, you have multiple contacts one with a valid email that can be used for marketing and the rest that have an identifiably modified email address that stay in the CRM but are in your opt-out list and therefore not counting toward your contact tier.

Matthew Shepherd

An Inbound Growth Agency
Platinum HubSpot Partner

Highlighted
HubSpot Moderator

Hi there,

I tried your workaround the way I understood it: 

I added 1 contact with sales1@test.com and one with sales2@test.com (actual mail address of both is sales@test.com).

Now I wanted to add the real sales@test.com address as a  second email address in both contact records. However, for the second one, it wouldn't let me do it, but the second email address disappears again after a second.

Can you please tell in more detail how you do this?

Best,
Sabine

0 Upvotes