CRM

rasen58

Turn off tracking on an email after sending it (getting infinite notifications)

SOLVE

I sent an email from my gmail using the hubspot chrome extension, and enabled tracking on the email.

But for some reason, I'm getting a notification every few mintues for the past 14 hours saying this person has opened the email.

There's clearly something wrong here. 

hubspot.png

Is it possible to disable the tracking on this email so I stop getting notifications on this contact? I receive them on my phone every few minutes as well.

I tried pressing the "Hide" button on the website for the email tracking notification, but it didn't work and gave me a popup error saying "Failed to hide tracking activity."

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
dianalcont
Solution
Top Contributor | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi there @rasen58 

I don't know if you want to stop tracking (not sure how valuable this email is in your sales process). AND I assume you know that you don't have to track (and shouldn't) ALL emails out of your inbox. You can uncheck the box in the chrome/gmail extension.

What I would suggest is changing your notifications in your personal settings/preferences

Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 3.24.48 PM.png

It's not always obvious where to look so type in "follow" in the "search for notification topics" search bar

Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 3.28.48 PM.png

It'll be under "general" and you can choose to not get notifications on activity in contact records you own or follow.

If you don't want to turn this notification off and just want to unfollow a particular contact because of the crazy amount of notifications you get. Go to the contact record and "unfollow"

Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 3.35.43 PM.png

In your case it would say "unfollow" here.

Hope this is helpful and you get some relief from all of the notifications!

Best,

Diana

Did this post help solve your problem? Help the community and mark it as a solution.
Diana Contreras
Helping B2Bs grow faster with a systematic inbound marketing framework.
HubSpot Diamond Partner BadgeA Diamond Solutions Partner
Book 30 Minutes with Diana »

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
EWarren9
Participant

SOLVE

I had the same issue, I was able to solve. When you get the notification click on the notification that takes you to the Prospecting tab, and you can see the list of emails being tracked.  In the top right-hand corner there is a more button click on that and it allows you to turn off thread notifications.

0 Upvotes
dianalcont
Solution

SOLVE

Hi there @rasen58 

I don't know if you want to stop tracking (not sure how valuable this email is in your sales process). AND I assume you know that you don't have to track (and shouldn't) ALL emails out of your inbox. You can uncheck the box in the chrome/gmail extension.

What I would suggest is changing your notifications in your personal settings/preferences

Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 3.24.48 PM.png

It's not always obvious where to look so type in "follow" in the "search for notification topics" search bar

Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 3.28.48 PM.png

It'll be under "general" and you can choose to not get notifications on activity in contact records you own or follow.

If you don't want to turn this notification off and just want to unfollow a particular contact because of the crazy amount of notifications you get. Go to the contact record and "unfollow"

Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 3.35.43 PM.png

In your case it would say "unfollow" here.

Hope this is helpful and you get some relief from all of the notifications!

Best,

Diana

Did this post help solve your problem? Help the community and mark it as a solution.
Diana Contreras
CBaugh
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Diana,

This did not solve my problem.  I now have 95 notifications from an email I accidentally tracked.  The "unfollow" option is greyed out and all the follow options in settings are unchecked.  I get a notification approximately every 15 minutes.  Any way to "Untrack" a specific email after sending it?

0 Upvotes
dianalcont

SOLVE

Hey @CBaugh 

I don't think there is a way to "mute" or untrack an active thread.

However, if this email thread is flooding your inbox you can try blocking the email in the "Never Log" section of your general preferences. Linking a knowledge base article here that might help. And screenshot is below of what the area looks like.

Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 8.26.00 AM.png

Alternatively, you can turn off all email notifications if you don't want to block emails getting logged for this contact

Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 8.27.27 AM.png

Hope this helps!

Diana Contreras
0 Upvotes
rasen58

SOLVE

Ah, yes, turning that off would help a lot. Thank you for making me aware of that!!

Side question: why do you say that you shouldn't track all outgoing emails? It seems like I would want to do that so that I can tell when people have opened my emails?

0 Upvotes
dianalcont

SOLVE

@rasen58 - It's definitely something I often forget to change when I'm in a new portal. The constant notifications usually remind me that I need to change my settings. Glad I could help!

As for the email tracking question - How would you see not knowing every time someone opens a general email impact sales or retention? If it does, track all of them. If it doesn't, identify the emails you find the most value in knowing the activity.

I don't recommend tracking every single email for a few reasons:

>> it clutters your CRM

>> it makes relevant information impossible to track down

>> it doesn't always provide value.

Think of when you send a text message and you see the read reciept. Sometimes its nice to know that your text was read so you can follow up. Other times it creates anxiety arround not getting a response even when a response isn't necessary. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It's about managing the time and effort you put into looking back at all of this information.

I would suggest tracking:

• up-sell/cross-sell conversations with clients
  • sales conversations with prospects
  • follow-up on something important (especially if there was an error or issue with their service/account)
  • service based (like from tickets)

Regular day to day conversations with clients or your internal team bogs down the contact record and isn't helpful.

How does that sound?

- Diana

Diana Contreras