CRM

yatishm
Top Contributor

Transfer owner of records

SOLVE

Hi

I search a bit and couldn't find anything relating to this exactly.

I saw the https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/methods/owners/owners_overview Owners API documentation  - was wondering. If we would like to automate when a user leaves our employ, how can we transfer ownership of all their records? And potentially delete or mark as inactive the user as well?

Please advise?

Thank you

1 Accepted solution
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Original Questions>>"If we would like to automate when a user leaves our employ, how can we transfer ownership of all their records? And potentially delete or mark as inactive the user as well?"

You may use a HubSpot Workflow 'Set Object' action to automatically RE-assign Contact.owner for all contacts currently assigned to a specific Contact.owner, OR you may manually assign a new Contact.owner to a group of contacts (in bulk) directly from the Contact View Filter.

- see Assign ownership of records

There is no functionality in HubSpot which allows auto-deletion / auto-deactivation of HubSpot Users.

Help answer your question? If so, remember to accept this solution now.

Best,
Frank

Chief HubSpot Consultant

hubspot-solutions-signature-mfrankjohnson-v05.png

MFrankJohnson.com | Perfect HubSpot Series | Connect on LinkedIn

Help find posts quickly ... accept this solution now.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Original Questions>>"If we would like to automate when a user leaves our employ, how can we transfer ownership of all their records? And potentially delete or mark as inactive the user as well?"

You may use a HubSpot Workflow 'Set Object' action to automatically RE-assign Contact.owner for all contacts currently assigned to a specific Contact.owner, OR you may manually assign a new Contact.owner to a group of contacts (in bulk) directly from the Contact View Filter.

- see Assign ownership of records

There is no functionality in HubSpot which allows auto-deletion / auto-deactivation of HubSpot Users.

Help answer your question? If so, remember to accept this solution now.

Best,
Frank

Chief HubSpot Consultant

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
yatishm
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks @MFrankJohnson - I do know of the bulk update feature - will use that.

I was more keen on the auto-remove/transfer of Owners via the API.

But appreciate the response.

0 Upvotes
IsaacTakushi
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi, @yatishm.

Just thought I'd add my two cents here.

@MFrankJohnson is correct that it's not possible to deactivate owners via the API, however you could conceivably poll the Get owners endpoint and check whether any owner IDs have the "isActive": false property value.

You could then use object endpoints like Get all contacts and Create or update a group of contacts to "automatically" set the hubspot_owner_id to the value of an owner who has "isActive": true.

Isaac Takushi

Associate Certification Manager
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Hey @IsaacTakushi, curious. Does that mean, setting hubspot_owner_id to "isActive: false" would make the HubSpot Owner (User) appear inactive in the portal?

[not sure I asked that question right.]

Best,
Frank

Chief HubSpot Consultant

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
IsaacTakushi
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hey, @MFrankJohnson.

A fair question. In theory, it could be that easy, however there is no public Owners API endpoint to create or update owner records.

I tried using a few internal endpoints but couldn't get it to work, either.

Isaac Takushi

Associate Certification Manager