CRM

marekzp
Participant

Tracking Web Sessions for MailChimp Links

SOLVE

Hi!

I have added Hubspot customer IDs to MailChimp. I have also then added ?userID= and the Hubspot ID to each email in MailChimp to allow for personalised links with that same Hubspot ID.

Huspot is also installed on the website using the WordPress plugin.

What else do I need to do to get sessions coming via MailChimp emails to show up in the CRM?

Thanks"

1 Accepted solution
ajchapman20
Solution
Top Contributor | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

@marekzp 

Got it, thanks for elaborating! 🙂

I've looked into your suggested method and also, explored some integrations, but at the moment, there doesn't seem to be a way to log a Contact's sessions based on a Mailchimp email sent to them. It works natively in HubSpot marketing emails, but how we identify a particular Contact is through a separate hsenc ID that's automatically generated, and not the usual HubSpot ID.

In this case, you would be able to track sessions in Contact Records only if the Contact has previously submitted a form or clicked on a link in a HubSpot marketing email. This would then allow us to associate the cookie dropped on their browser with their specific Contact Record, and subsequently the pages they visit will be recorded on their Contact Records.

Alex Chapman | Inbound marketing Expert

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
ajchapman20

SOLVE

Hi @marekzp ,

Just so that I'm on the same page here, are you planning to track your MailChimp emails in the Traffic Analytics Report? If that's the case, you may want to add a parameter in your email links where "utm_source", "utm_medium", "utm_campaign", or "source" contains the word “email”. This will allow the Traffic Analytics report to automatically bucket sessions from Mailchimp in the "Email Marketing" source category (read more about how HubSpot categorizes sources here). To further differentiate MailChimp emails, you can include a utm_campaign=mailchimp (specific name of campaign).

Apart from that, installing the WordPress plugin would automatically add the HubSpot tracking code on your WordPress site, so that will help with the tracking as well. 🙂

If this isn't what you're referring to though, do you mind sharing more details about how you're planning to track web sessions for MailChimp links, and where specifically in HubSpot are you planning to see these sessions? Screenshots would be super helpful too.

0 Upvotes
marekzp
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks Alex! But no, that's not quite what I had in mind. The MailChimp links do indeed include the relevant UTM tags, but I wanted a way to include in a contact's activity page whether they had visited the website and what pages they had visited.

As we do not require a login for the majority of the website, the idea was to send a userid in links, where the user ID was the hubspot user id, and for when hubspot parsed the link it identified the user and for the remainder of the sessions associated their page visits with the user associated with the contact id. 

Is this possible?

0 Upvotes
ajchapman20
Solution

SOLVE

@marekzp 

Got it, thanks for elaborating! 🙂

I've looked into your suggested method and also, explored some integrations, but at the moment, there doesn't seem to be a way to log a Contact's sessions based on a Mailchimp email sent to them. It works natively in HubSpot marketing emails, but how we identify a particular Contact is through a separate hsenc ID that's automatically generated, and not the usual HubSpot ID.

In this case, you would be able to track sessions in Contact Records only if the Contact has previously submitted a form or clicked on a link in a HubSpot marketing email. This would then allow us to associate the cookie dropped on their browser with their specific Contact Record, and subsequently the pages they visit will be recorded on their Contact Records.

marekzp
Participant

SOLVE
Sorry for the slow response. Somehow missed the reply. Pity of course, but thanks for the clarification on the different kinds of HubSpot generated IDs.
0 Upvotes