CRM

chloekonig

Tracking Source Of Repeated Conversion

SOLVE

Hi guys!

We have a lot of contacts in our database who converted a couple of years back but then stopped interacting with our content (website, emails, etc.), then reconvert later and decide to purchase. I can only see the original source in their record, not the new source of the latest conversion. Often time, the original source would be "Offline" or "Direct", but based on the pages that they go to I can be pretty confident that the new conversion is organic through Google. We'd like to attribute those deals to the new conversion, not the original source.

Are there any best practices for how to track this kind of information? 

Thank you!

1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi Chloe,

'Original source' always documents the first interaction and it cannot be edited (see here) - so you'll have to work around the issue.

One option could be creating a workflow that stores later interactions in additional, custom properties. (e.g. if a contact visits a page containing [UTM parameter], write [custom source property] and [timestamp]). This would unfortunately have to be created manually.

Best,

Karsten

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
RBanko

SOLVE

@chloekonig did you ever find a good solution to this? I still run into the same issue. It is no help to me if someones first conversion was 3 years ago and I know their original source. I want to know what the source is from their most recent conversion. Even within reports on Forms, it will show you the greater whole of all submissions of the source but not as a point of data for the individual submission. (Example below). But I can dive deeper into knowing which contacts submission was from what source.

Example here:

RBanko_0-1632942514645.png

MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Important point of clarification -- "The Original source property options are not editable. However, a contact's Original source value can be manually changed to any of the traffic sources used to bucket traffic. "

It should be noted that once Original source is manually changed for a contact, HubSpot will no longer auto-update that property (or its drill-down sisters!) for that contact. A fine point, but non-trivial.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hello Chloe,

HubSpot has a default contact property called "Recent conversion" (storing the name of the page of the last form submitted + the name of the form), also see here.

Is this what you're looking for?

Best,

Karsten

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Upvotes
chloekonig

SOLVE

Hi Karsten,

I am looking for the source of those conversions (organic, paid, etc.) and not just the conversion themselves.

Thank you,

Chloe

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi Chloe,

'Original source' always documents the first interaction and it cannot be edited (see here) - so you'll have to work around the issue.

One option could be creating a workflow that stores later interactions in additional, custom properties. (e.g. if a contact visits a page containing [UTM parameter], write [custom source property] and [timestamp]). This would unfortunately have to be created manually.

Best,

Karsten

Karsten Köhler