CRM

wds9000

Tag-like way to indicate multiple company services

SOLVE

The companies in my CRM offer multiple services, nad not all companies offer the same service. I'd like to be able to filter on these services. Here's a use case:

Company A provides: restaurant, catering, branded products, room rentals

Company B provides: restaurant, catering, food truck

Ideally I could assign tags, and filter when needed on these tags, but Hubspot does not offer tags. Currently I am creating separate properties and assigning a Y or N value but it feels clunky. My companies can offer up to 10 different services I am tracking.

Is there a better way?

1 Accepted solution
Josh
Solution
Recognized Expert | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

Hi @wds9000,

I would recommend using the multiple checkboxes feature. This way you can use it as a filter, but there is only one property actually handling this. If you use it in this fashion, it's almost identical to using a tag functionality.

If you have any issues with this, ping me and I can walk you through it.

Josh

Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

Josh Curcio

HubSpot support and inbound marketing for OEMs, contract manufacturers, and industrial suppliers.
HubSpot Platinum Partner & HubSpot Certified Trainer

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Josh
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @wds9000,

I would recommend using the multiple checkboxes feature. This way you can use it as a filter, but there is only one property actually handling this. If you use it in this fashion, it's almost identical to using a tag functionality.

If you have any issues with this, ping me and I can walk you through it.

Josh

Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

Josh Curcio

HubSpot support and inbound marketing for OEMs, contract manufacturers, and industrial suppliers.
HubSpot Platinum Partner & HubSpot Certified Trainer

wds9000

SOLVE
I think that will work just fine. Thanks !
Adam23

SOLVE

The problem with multiple checkboxes is that it only allows a "is any of" filter option which precludes searching for matches Tag1 AND Tag2 AND Tag 3 etc. I created the following workaround if it's of use to you.

Its definitely imperfect and won't allow you to "search tags" or have them auto suggest as you type (which is annoying). However, the best workaround I've found so far is to simply use a multi-line text (you can use single-line as well but multi-line is nicer visually in my opinion). I used a simple example to prove to myself it works.

1. Create a custom property called tags and choose the field type to be "multi-line text"

2. Open up contact #1 and type the following in your Tags custom field:

Red

Blue

Green

3. Open up contact #2 and type the following in your Tags field:

Red

Blue

Now you go back to the contacts main page and choose filter and search for your "Tags" field. The important difference is that unlike the "multiple checkboxes field", the "multi-line text" field type has a filter option of "contains exactly". You can then type "red blue" and you will see both contact #1 and contact #2 in the filter results. If you add "green" to the list you will only be left with contact #1 in the filter results. It seems to work regardless of word order, capitalization, and whether or not you use commas.

Again, pretty imperfect but it works. You have no idea what anyone else tagged any other clients, but if you can all agree on a general set of tags you can mostly make it work. I actually got a little desperate and took it a bit further by creating an actual contact called "Tag Options". Inside that contact, in a note I listed out all (most) of the tags the team was using.  You can (at mention) your other team members so they know about the contact. Then as everyone uses more tags they can search for the contact name "Tag Options" and then edit the note inside it. As you keep doing it you'll actually find you refine it down to a shorter list of tags that everyone knows and can agree on.

GuyTaylor
Guide

SOLVE

@Adam23 This is a  very clever workaround! Thank you for the detailed post, I've been using the multi-line method for a while.

Still, I figured maybe it can be improved a bit so I'm experimenting with something called HubTags. It works just like tagging (gives the visual and general experience of tags) allows you to filter for tags using 'contains exactly' but aslo gives the ability to incoporate 'OR'.

Would be great to have you try it out and give feedback. For example the auto-complete feature, is there a example product you can point to that does this? I would like try and build it for HubTags.

HubTags 3.png