CRM

GHunt5
Participant

State Abbreviations VS Whole State Name

SOLVE

We have our SF.com state field set up for state abbreviations.  Currently HS is outputting the whole state name.  From what I am read, even if I create a picklist for all states using the abbreviations HS does not like that.

Is there a way that I could get HS to use the abbreviations and not the whole state name?

Right now we are backfilling the state data but we want a solution that will impact all net new records going forward and not have to back fill periodically.

1 Accepted solution
SNigam
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hello @GHunt5 ,

If you talking about the 'State/Region' property of HubSpot then I would like to tell you that this is a default HubSpot property and this is a single line text property and it can save both Abrreviation as well as full state name. But there will be always a optionin HubSpot to create your own custom property so you can create a new property with your naming convention and you can create this property with dropdown type where you can put all state abbreviations in one go with just a copy paste action from your erxcel sheet and then you can use this property for future references. 

I hope this helps you.

Thank you 

Shubham Nigam

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
RBozeman
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @GHunt5,

You can change the HubSpot State/Region field to a dropdown select, but there are some considerations to take into account. I would suggest reading this documentation article, which covers the topic of the  state/region field and HubSpot/Salesforce syncing. 

A couple of points from that article that you should be aware of:

• Salesforce requires that if a record has a state value, a corresponding country must be specified. If a country is not specified, Salesforce will return an error message and the record will not sync between HubSpot and Salesforce. Non-matching state/country values and mismatched state/country pairs will also result in errors and prevent syncing. As such, these steps must be taken for both the State/Region property and the Country property.
  • To change the State/Region or Country property field type to dropdown select, you need to export the data, clear the property for all contacts, change the property to a dropdown field type, clean up incorrectly formatted data, and re-import it.
  • The internal values for locations must match in both HubSpot and Salesforce. If these values are not the same they will not map correctly.

Also just wanted to mention that Insycle (Full disclosure, I work there) can help with the standardization of your state fields. Because you'll want all of your values standardized before making the switch to the picklist/dropdown select field, you'll want to make sure everything is consistent so you don't create duplicate picklist values. 

SNigam
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hello @GHunt5 ,

If you talking about the 'State/Region' property of HubSpot then I would like to tell you that this is a default HubSpot property and this is a single line text property and it can save both Abrreviation as well as full state name. But there will be always a optionin HubSpot to create your own custom property so you can create a new property with your naming convention and you can create this property with dropdown type where you can put all state abbreviations in one go with just a copy paste action from your erxcel sheet and then you can use this property for future references. 

I hope this helps you.

Thank you 

Shubham Nigam

lisabella

SOLVE

When I try to import a contact list with the abbreviation in State/Region, there is a yellow exclamation point and the list of acceptable responses only has the full State names.

GHunt5
Participant

SOLVE
That is because your picklist values for the state/region field have the
full name. Quick fix would be to update your csv to the full names.

The other option is long and cumbersome

0 Upvotes