Sorting contacts by Associated Company is not working

SOLVE
Regular Contributor

On the Contacts page in the CRM, I added the "Associated Company" column but I cannot sort the contacts list using this column. 

Any ideas?

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Thought Leader | Diamond Partner

Hi @monicaway

Sure! HubSpot's Pro marketing software includes a feature called workflows - these are really the essence of marketing automation. Workflows can do many things like sending emails to contacts and changing contact properties. One function is to copy information from one field to another. 

I use a workflow to copy the contents of the name field in the company object into the company name filed of the contact record - if that makes sense. 

Workflows are not included in the free CRM unfortunatly.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Phil Vallender | Inbound marketing for B2B technology companies
0 Upvotes
15 Replies 15

Hi @monicaway

Try using the 'Company Name' field instead - this is sortable and should contain similar, if not the same, data. 

Does that help?

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

Many thanks Phil for taking the time to help me.

In the case of our database, it turns out that "Company Name" contains much less data (and I'm not sure why) than does "Associated Company". I would rather sort by "Associated Company" for that reason. Is there a reason that you know about that causes some columns to be sortable while others are not?

On the same note, do you have any advice for sorting the Contacts list by "Name"? When I try, it does not sort that column properly.

Fingers crossed.

Monica

0 Upvotes

Hi @monicaway

This is probably because Associated Company is populated automatically by HubSpot and Company Name is not. I use a workflow in the marketing tool to copy the associated company name to the company name, but this may not be an option for you yet. Other than exporting the associated company data from time to time and importing it into Company Name, I can't really think of a solution. 

Regarding name - sorting the Name field sorts by surname. If you want to sort by first name instead you will have to add the First Name column to your view and then sort that. 

Hope this helps.

Regular Contributor

Thanks very much Phil for the info.

Can you describe a little bit more about what you meant by this: "I use a workflow in the marketing tool to copy the associated company name to the company name, but this may not be an option for you yet."

Many thanks,

Monica

0 Upvotes

Hi @monicaway

Sure! HubSpot's Pro marketing software includes a feature called workflows - these are really the essence of marketing automation. Workflows can do many things like sending emails to contacts and changing contact properties. One function is to copy information from one field to another. 

I use a workflow to copy the contents of the name field in the company object into the company name filed of the contact record - if that makes sense. 

Workflows are not included in the free CRM unfortunatly.

Let me know if you have any questions.

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

@Phil_Vallender - Any idea why Hubspot does not allow the CRM to sort by "Associated Company"? Seems unusual since it's possible to sort by so many other fields, including "Company Name" as you said previously.

Thanks!

Regular Contributor

@Phil_Vallender Can you please provide a screenshot of the Workflow?

0 Upvotes

Hi @COReilly

Sure, its a really simple one. 

Copy Company Name to Contact.png

Regular Contributor

@Phil_Vallender Thanks!

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Yes, this is a real limitation and would seem to be a very simple fix... 

I think writing a workflow to help is a creative work around, but it is rediculous to have to go to that measure just to sort your contacts by company....

Occasional Contributor

And also (for those of us on the Starter plan) it would seem to cost an extra $800/month to get the workflow feature...  Hubspot please do consider letting us sort by Associated Company, as it would be so much easier than filling out Company Name manually for each contact!

Our usage is this:  we're an agency with 75 odd support clients, and want to be able to run through our list of key contacts and check they're all correct - it's much easier to do this when sorted by company.  Thanks.

Occasional Contributor

By the way - bit of a bulky hack but here's what we've done (without upgrading to get the HubSpot workflows):  export our list of contacts (including associated companies) to Mailchimp, which will let us sort by company name;  and use Zapier to sync things in future so that new contacts are copied across too.  This lets us use tagging in Mailchimp too (which we're hoping HubSpot will add in future!)

Occasional Contributor

I agree this is a problem.  We understand that Associated Company isn't technically a Contact property.  In general, however, ANY property that can be selected as a column in any Filter, Report, etc. should be sortable.  Otherwise, there is little to no use to include it.

Thanks,

Cameron

New Contributor

This says it was solved, but I am still unable to sort contacts by company.  Is this a current capability of hubspot?

Hi @AmberT 

It's still not possible to sort on the associated company column in a view of contacts. 

I am a little suprised this is the case. 

This post was marked as solved based on the workaround of copying the associated company name into the contact's company name property. Not ideal, but the best we can do right now.

0 Upvotes