CRM

monicaway
Contributeur

Sorting contacts by Associated Company is not working

Résolue

On the Contacts page in the CRM, I added the "Associated Company" column but I cannot sort the contacts list using this column. 

Any ideas?

2 Solutions acceptées
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Membre irremplaçable | Partenaire solutions Diamond

Résolue

Hi @monicaway

Sure! HubSpot's Pro marketing software includes a feature called workflows - these are really the essence of marketing automation. Workflows can do many things like sending emails to contacts and changing contact properties. One function is to copy information from one field to another. 

I use a workflow to copy the contents of the name field in the company object into the company name filed of the contact record - if that makes sense. 

Workflows are not included in the free CRM unfortunatly.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

Voir la solution dans l'envoi d'origine

SS_PD
Solution
Participant

Résolue

It is puzzling indeed why this fundamental column is not sortable. However, there is a relatively straight forward workaround. 

1. Create a custom property under the Contact object with data type Single-line text. Let's assume this property is called Custom_Company_Sortable.

2. Export all your contacts to a CSV. You only need to export Contact Name, Contact Email and Company Name as illustrated below:

SS_PD_2-1657128044557.png

3. Open the CSV, it should look like the following:

Before.png

4. Delete the following columns; Contact ID, First Name, Last Name and Company ID. Rename Company name to Custom_Company_Sortable (the name of the custom property created in Step 1).

The updated CSV should look like this:

SS_PD_4-1657129584679.png

5. Import the updated CSV back into Hubspot. Make sure not to overwrite the existing contact details. The import will only update Custom_Company_Sortable.

6. Now you can sort by company using the Custom_Company_Sortable  column. In my case the custom property is called SS_SORT. I have removed the names and emails from my screenshot for privacy purposes. However, as you can see the custom field is sortable. In my case I am sorting by website.

Sort.png

Test the import with a few contacts to make sure it works before updating the whole database.

Hope this helps.

Voir la solution dans l'envoi d'origine

31 Réponses
Phil_Vallender

Résolue

Hi @monicaway

Try using the 'Company Name' field instead - this is sortable and should contain similar, if not the same, data. 

Does that help?

0 Votes
monicaway
Contributeur

Résolue

Many thanks Phil for taking the time to help me.

In the case of our database, it turns out that "Company Name" contains much less data (and I'm not sure why) than does "Associated Company". I would rather sort by "Associated Company" for that reason. Is there a reason that you know about that causes some columns to be sortable while others are not?

On the same note, do you have any advice for sorting the Contacts list by "Name"? When I try, it does not sort that column properly.

Fingers crossed.

Monica

Phil_Vallender

Résolue

Hi @monicaway

This is probably because Associated Company is populated automatically by HubSpot and Company Name is not. I use a workflow in the marketing tool to copy the associated company name to the company name, but this may not be an option for you yet. Other than exporting the associated company data from time to time and importing it into Company Name, I can't really think of a solution. 

Regarding name - sorting the Name field sorts by surname. If you want to sort by first name instead you will have to add the First Name column to your view and then sort that. 

Hope this helps.

monicaway
Contributeur

Résolue

Thanks very much Phil for the info.

Can you describe a little bit more about what you meant by this: "I use a workflow in the marketing tool to copy the associated company name to the company name, but this may not be an option for you yet."

Many thanks,

Monica

0 Votes
Phil_Vallender
Solution

Résolue

Hi @monicaway

Sure! HubSpot's Pro marketing software includes a feature called workflows - these are really the essence of marketing automation. Workflows can do many things like sending emails to contacts and changing contact properties. One function is to copy information from one field to another. 

I use a workflow to copy the contents of the name field in the company object into the company name filed of the contact record - if that makes sense. 

Workflows are not included in the free CRM unfortunatly.

Let me know if you have any questions.

dzeledón
Membre

Résolue

Hi.

I am a new brand user of the paid version of HubSpot. I'm also uncomfortable not being able to sort my contacts or lists by 'Associated Company' column. Can you please help me with a quick step-by-step workflow to load automatically the 'Associated Company' data into the 'Company Name' field (been trying to do it by myself but it's a little bit tricky?

Thanks in advance

0 Votes
COReilly
Contributeur

Résolue

@Phil_Vallender Can you please provide a screenshot of the Workflow?

0 Votes
Phil_Vallender

Résolue

Hi @COReilly

Sure, its a really simple one. 

Copy Company Name to Contact.png

PaulMac
Participant

Résolue

This does not seem to work for me. I can't pick Primary Company company name anywhere, nor can I select anything other than "Company Name" from either the contact or company field 

0 Votes
COReilly
Contributeur

Résolue

@Phil_Vallender Thanks!

0 Votes
monicaway
Contributeur

Résolue

@Phil_Vallender - Any idea why Hubspot does not allow the CRM to sort by "Associated Company"? Seems unusual since it's possible to sort by so many other fields, including "Company Name" as you said previously.

Thanks!