CRM

tinaubell
Participant

Searching & exporting contacts by filters

SOLVE

I'm wondering if it's possible to search multiple filters for contacts - ie: we have multiple Types of Contacts and filters for Real Estate clients - buyer, seller, etc.  My goal is to export using multiple filters to select contacts I have categorized as Type of Contact: Buyer, Seller etc. to create a mailer.  It would ideal to export without duplicates, as the same contact may be in both categories (was able to do this in Top Producer CRM).

2 Accepted solutions
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

_hubspot-button-accept-as-solution-gif-v00.gif

Help other HubSpot searchers find this post quickly by accepting the solution

Q: [Is it] possible to search multiple filters for contacts the export using those multiple filters to select contacts without duplicates??

Short A: Sure. Just gotta know the rules to the game.

Longer A:

-1-

Selecting MULTIPLE PROPERTIES using HubSpot view filters results in what's known as a 'logical AND'. This means, whenever you select multiple properties HubSpot will only show results for contacts, companies, or deals that meet ALL criteria from ALL properties.

(see image)

hubspot-crm-view-filter-multiple-selections-multi-checkbox-example.png

In the example above, Mr X has 'zCustom Tags' = '' and Ms. Y has 'zCustom Tags' = ''. Selections like these are easy to achieve using the HubSpot multi-checkbox property type.

-2-

You may achieve what's known as a 'logical OR' by selecting MULTIPLE CRITERIA WITHIN A SINGLE PROPERTY using HubSpot view filters. Whenever you use the 'OR' operator to select multiple multiple criteria within a single property HubSpot will show results for contacts, companies, or deals that meet ANY criteria.

(see image)

hubspot-crm-view-filter-multiple-selections-logical-or-example.png

In the example above, contact are shown who have email addresses ending in '@hubspot.com' OR '@mfjlabs.com'.

See how that works?

Finally, not really clear on what you mean by 'export without duplicates'. By default, HubSpot doesn't permit duplicate records in the CRM unless you've opted to allow contacts to exist without email addresses. (not recommended)

Help answer your question? If so, remember to accept this 'solution'.

Best,
Frank

hubspot-solutions-signature-mfrankjohnson-v03.png

www.MFrankJohnson.com

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

>>Bad part is after switching to a different filter the columns showing changed back to the default setting...

Wait. Remember, you have to 'save' / 'update' the filter after any changes to filter criteria or columns. Once done, your filter (and columns) will remain the same everytime you load it.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
7 Replies 7
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

_hubspot-button-accept-as-solution-gif-v00.gif

Help other HubSpot searchers find this post quickly by accepting the solution

Q: [Is it] possible to search multiple filters for contacts the export using those multiple filters to select contacts without duplicates??

Short A: Sure. Just gotta know the rules to the game.

Longer A:

-1-

Selecting MULTIPLE PROPERTIES using HubSpot view filters results in what's known as a 'logical AND'. This means, whenever you select multiple properties HubSpot will only show results for contacts, companies, or deals that meet ALL criteria from ALL properties.

(see image)

hubspot-crm-view-filter-multiple-selections-multi-checkbox-example.png

In the example above, Mr X has 'zCustom Tags' = '' and Ms. Y has 'zCustom Tags' = ''. Selections like these are easy to achieve using the HubSpot multi-checkbox property type.

-2-

You may achieve what's known as a 'logical OR' by selecting MULTIPLE CRITERIA WITHIN A SINGLE PROPERTY using HubSpot view filters. Whenever you use the 'OR' operator to select multiple multiple criteria within a single property HubSpot will show results for contacts, companies, or deals that meet ANY criteria.

(see image)

hubspot-crm-view-filter-multiple-selections-logical-or-example.png

In the example above, contact are shown who have email addresses ending in '@hubspot.com' OR '@mfjlabs.com'.

See how that works?

Finally, not really clear on what you mean by 'export without duplicates'. By default, HubSpot doesn't permit duplicate records in the CRM unless you've opted to allow contacts to exist without email addresses. (not recommended)

Help answer your question? If so, remember to accept this 'solution'.

Best,
Frank

hubspot-solutions-signature-mfrankjohnson-v03.png

www.MFrankJohnson.com

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
tinaubell
Participant

SOLVE

Thank you Frank, this solved my question!  Only part remaining is re-sorting Contact Properties for easiest viewing in the Excel export (showing in order ideal for creating a mail out/mailing labels- Name, Spouse name, address).  I'm sure that's possible and I just haven't searched far enough.

The duplicates would not have been applicable after all with your solution- my concern was when filtering the export may show multiple of the same contact if they were in multiple Contact Types in the filter (ie: Buyer and Seller) but this was not an issue.

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

>>Only part remaining is re-sorting Contact Properties for easiest viewing in the Excel export...

Not gonna happen @tinaubell. HubSpot views can be sorted on a single criteria (at best). However, I'm not even sure if that view order translates into an export order. (never had it come up since we're pretty geeky about Excel and sorting everything there. haha)

Would be interesting to know ...

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
tinaubell
Participant

SOLVE

I was able to go into the filter and edit columns to choose properties for mailers and sort in that order (name, spouse name, address).  It did show up this way when exporting to Excel so that will be a great time saver for using the Excel Sheet to create labels in Word!  Bad part is after switching to a different filter the columns showing changed back to the default setting... but still may be worth doing that each time when exporting for mailers.  Still debating if HubSpot is the best CRM for us..

MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

>>Bad part is after switching to a different filter the columns showing changed back to the default setting...

Wait. Remember, you have to 'save' / 'update' the filter after any changes to filter criteria or columns. Once done, your filter (and columns) will remain the same everytime you load it.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
tinaubell
Participant

SOLVE

You're a genius!  It shouldn't have been rocket science for me to click the Update button as well, but apparently I missed that the first try.  Thanks so much for your help!!

Phil_Vallender
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @tinaubell

It should be possible to do what you need. You can filter your view of contacts by as many filters as you like. The only thing you cannot do is use the same filter twice. 

The process for filtering your list is described here: How to create saved filters

And the way to export them is here: How do I export my contact, company, and deal records in the CRM?

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency
0 Upvotes