CRM

DBroach

Restrict a user(s) to a certain company but access to all other records

SOLVE

I have been reading post that are similar to what I am after but I don't think exactly. I want to restrict a certain user from one single company but allow access to all others. Since there is not really a "not allow" permission, would this scenario require creating a custom property for all companies and making this user the owner of this property for all companies except the one they are not supposed to have access to?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

@DBroach No, permission sets are simply a saved collection of permissions. They're not a different approach.

If you have one company ABC, this is doable. If you want to hide more companies from more users, this becomes either more complex or impossible, unfortunately. It would be easier to move to a model where users can only see their owned records and unassigned ones, for example.

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
9 Replies 9
DBroach

SOLVE

Hello Karsten, thank you for your reply. I tried to draw this out from your second paragraph but did not totally follow. Could you please go through that again but perhaps use some names, for example. Lets say Sally is supposed to be able to get to all companies except ABC company. So you are saying that Doug lets say is the owner of ABC company, then all other users are in a team along with Sally and there is where I quit following? Thank you!

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

@DBroach Sally would get team-only access and be within a HubSpot team containing everyone but Doug. Everyone but Sally gets to access all records. Doug is the owner of company ABC. As he sits outside of the team, Sally's team-only access permissions don't extend to ABC owned by Doug. Does that make sense?

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Upvotes
DBroach

SOLVE

Sally's team only access permissions don't extend to ABC, I get that. How is Sally getting to all other companies? and, why did everyone but Doug need to be in the team with Sally? Thank you!

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

@DBroach this is where things become impractical. All companies but ABC must either be unowned or not owned by Doug. If they're owned by someone on the team, Sally can access them through her team-only permissions.

Team-only means that a user can access records they own or that are owned by someone on their team.

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/user-management/hubspot-user-permissions-guide#crm-objects

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
DBroach

SOLVE

Would a "permission set" be able to accomplish this? We are just setting up our HubSpot account (with help from On th Fuze), this ability to limit certain users from certain companies within HubSpot is very critical. 

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

@DBroach No, permission sets are simply a saved collection of permissions. They're not a different approach.

If you have one company ABC, this is doable. If you want to hide more companies from more users, this becomes either more complex or impossible, unfortunately. It would be easier to move to a model where users can only see their owned records and unassigned ones, for example.

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
DBroach

SOLVE

Hey Karsten, I believe your last comment is going to work perfectly "It would be easier to move to a model where users can only see their owned records and unassigned ones, for example."

Looking at our current setup, the vast majority of the companies are unassigned and the main two that need to be restricted are assigned owners of the person that is not supposed to get to the otherone. So having these users set as you said above, to be able to see their owned records and unassigned will most likely work perfectly, thank you!

0 Upvotes
DBroach

SOLVE

Thank you Karsten. There are basically two companies, people that deal with one can't see the other and vice versa. 

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @DBroach,

HubSpot's permissions aren't really designed for this, unfortunately. You would have to leverage team-only access permissions and design your teams just around this one company - which typically isn't feasible, and also creates a lot of other issues.

For example, there would be one user who owns that company and who can access all records. Then everyone else is in a team, among which the user in question is, too. They would only have team-only access to records while everyone else could have access to all records. It's possible but it's impractical.

Custom properties cannot be used here as permissions are entirely ownership-based, and cannot be built around custom properties.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes