CRM

lisat2m
Top colaborador(a)

Require specific properties when creating a deal

resolver

Is there a way to require a contact be added when a new deal is created? I know you can now require certain properties when creating a deal, but don't find contact name as one of the properties. We want to ensure each deal has a contact associated with that deal.

1 Solução aceita
edjusten
Solução
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

resolver

Hi @lisat2m  This isn't a requirement because in most use cases, a deal is created after you have been nuturing a contact through a marketing funnel for a least some amount of time. If you are using the inbound methodology, chances are good you've spent some time getting to know the contact and what his/her needs are in relation to your products. By the time you're creating a deal, you already have a long history with the contact, and can associate the contact with the deal with a simple click.

I can see where this could be important though. It could be nice to have an "associated contact" option available in the deal creator modal. Can you head over to the ideas forum and add this as a post?

Ed

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution

Exibir solução no post original

10 Respostas 10
edjusten
Solução
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

resolver

Hi @lisat2m  This isn't a requirement because in most use cases, a deal is created after you have been nuturing a contact through a marketing funnel for a least some amount of time. If you are using the inbound methodology, chances are good you've spent some time getting to know the contact and what his/her needs are in relation to your products. By the time you're creating a deal, you already have a long history with the contact, and can associate the contact with the deal with a simple click.

I can see where this could be important though. It could be nice to have an "associated contact" option available in the deal creator modal. Can you head over to the ideas forum and add this as a post?

Ed

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
VitalityWrks
Participante

resolver

Hi @edjusten

Actually it's a bit presumptuous for you to assume that this isn't a requirement. You're correct in saying that by the time a deal is created they have certainly nurtured a deal out of them, but that doesn't mean they will actually click on the associated contact/company field and enter it in (some sales people are more rigorous in their processes than others. 

The point of making this a required field is to prevent them from simply going into the deals page and creating a deal with missing information (eg associated contact or company). HubSpot has a default field called "Annual Revenue" and this becomes less and less reliable due to human error (and just plain laziness).

Really, how hard can it be to include this, considering it's so easy to  make other fields mandatory?

lisat2m
Top colaborador(a)

resolver

@VitalityWrks totally agree - that goes back to my original ask to make this a required field or let Admins pick and choose which fields should be required to fit the needs of their company. I understand it's easy to click and associate a contact to a deal if the contact is already in HS; however, as you stated, they can just bypass doing that and still create a deal. Then, later down the road someone else like billing, project manager, etc. is trying to find the contact for that deal. I also know, as I said, behavior change for our group and that's on us, but could be avoided by giving us the tools to determine what properties should be required. 

slucas
Colaborador(a)

resolver

@edjusten, It seems your comments completely excludes HubSpot customers who (have the great fortune to) grow clients largely via inbound phones and chat driving new users, without a long nurture period.

Even HubSpot would have new clients that haven't engaged over an extended time, and come to you "fresh".

When a sales organization utlizes sales reps, you establish guardrails; requirements within your process / methodology that prompt required data points along the way.

What we've found is, regardless of any stage-based requirements we've set on our pipelines at any stage - including closed won - those requirements are only reinforced IF the rep has already created a deal and is attempting to adjust the stage in an existing deal.

So - any rep can easily bypass the process and go direct to Closed Won without meeting any of the staged data requirements.

The alternative is to build ALL of the requirements into the 'universal' setting for what is seen when creating a deal.  However, the same requirements don't apply across pipelines  -- and  -- there will be some properties that a rep won't have collected or available until the deal gets to the Won (or Lost) stage.

As is, this feature isn't a true value add.  We need to be able to enforce, by pipeline, what properties are required to create a deal, and if skipping to a later stage, the Deal Create form should dynamically update with the required fields to move the deal into the specified stage.

Thanks,

BastiSchuhl
Top colaborador(a)

resolver

Well said, @slucas.

Being able to manage settings including required properties and which properties should be shown as default in a deal's about section needs to be managable on a per pipeline level. Sales processes are too different to use a once size fits all approach for standard views or required fiels across all pipelines.

bell1jl
Participante

resolver

It's an additional (but small) monthly fee but I ended up doing this through zapier. I used a webhook step in a HubSpot workflow to send the contact information to zapier. In zapier, I was able to use the Create a Deal in the HubSpot CRM connector. That connector shows me all the fields, including the custom ones - of my deal. It works perfectly.

0 Avaliação positiva
Bertrand1
Membro

resolver

In my case, I want to enable my partners reselling my solution to log on Hubspot on my account and create a new transaction. Therefore it is mandatory that my partner include the entreprise and the contact as part of the newly created transaction. How can I do that ?

lisat2m
Top colaborador(a)

resolver

Yes, that is true and is the case, but a sales person still has to click to associate a contact to the deal. It's easy when creating a deal to skip this very important step because they're just trying to get the deal in the system. If this was a required field, it would ensure a deal always has a contact associated from the creation of the deal because the sales person skipped this part. I realize it's a behavior change on our end as well, just wanted to request adding as required property before deal could be created.

Thank you.

BastiSchuhl
Top colaborador(a)

resolver

I couldn't agree more. Skipping crucial information for time's sake is a very common misbehaviour in any teams and the larger they are, the harder it get to monitor correct behavior. Enabling "associated" properties as required fields would be a simple but very valuabe fix!

lisat2m
Top colaborador(a)

resolver

I added to the ideas forum board. Thanks.