CRM

niculeica
Participant

Replicating (cloning) property from parent object (custom: Contracts) to child object (Deal)

SOLVE

Hi, there,

Does anyone have any suggestion on how to automatically copy/clone/replicate (we're talking identical here) the value of a property from the parent object, Contract (which is a Custom Object) to the child object(s), Deals?

Concisely, I'd like to automatically copy Region value from the Contract to all associated Deals (of the contract) into the same property field. My hunch is workflow is the answer, however looks a bit not so intuitive, in this regard.

Much appreciate any thoughts!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Replicating (cloning) property from parent object (custom: Contracts) to child object (Deal)

SOLVE

Hi @niculeica,

This can indeed be accomplished with a workflow. The important thing to note is that you can only copy from, not to, in a workflow. In other words, you can not create a deal-based workflow that copies information from another object. You need to create your contract-based workflow to copy to a deal.

In my case, the custom object is called "Agency" and I've only set up the relation to the contact object but you'll get the idea: In the enrollment criteria, check whether the value of the original property is known, then select the "Copy property value" action and copy the value into a target property.

karstenkoehler_0-1623816938101.png

If you want this copy action to trigger whenever the original value is changed, make sure to toggle re-enrollment. (tab under enrollment triggers)

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @niculeica,

This can indeed be accomplished with a workflow. The important thing to note is that you can only copy from, not to, in a workflow. In other words, you can not create a deal-based workflow that copies information from another object. You need to create your contract-based workflow to copy to a deal.

In my case, the custom object is called "Agency" and I've only set up the relation to the contact object but you'll get the idea: In the enrollment criteria, check whether the value of the original property is known, then select the "Copy property value" action and copy the value into a target property.

karstenkoehler_0-1623816938101.png

If you want this copy action to trigger whenever the original value is changed, make sure to toggle re-enrollment. (tab under enrollment triggers)

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

niculeica
Participant

SOLVE

Thank you, @karstenkoehler!

Worked like a charm. Have a great day ahead!