CRM

JMurtagh
Participant

Removing Associations from bulk contacts

SOLVE

Hi all, 

I'm in desperate need of help solving the below - 

I'm trying to remove a company association from a large number of contacts and wish to bulk edit them. Is there a way to do this without having to manually go into each contact and remove their association? We are on the free plan. 

Many thanks! 

J

2 Accepted solutions
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @JMurtagh,

I'm not aware of any special features to accomplish this, unfortunately. Depending on how many associations this is about, your options would either be manually removing them via the record association sidebar (and sacrificing some time on this dull task) or potentially even deleting the company record before re-creating it, fresh, without assocations. In that case you would however lose any information specific to the company record.

(As you can see here, bulk association options are limited, too.)

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @JMurtagh,

You would simply search and delete the company from the company index page (Menu > Contacts > Companies). From that same screen, you can then create a new company record and associate with the correct contacts.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12
DStaat
Participant

SOLVE

Hey @JMurtagh,

Bit of an old thread but have you tried using Associ8? It can automatically remove associations.

DStaat_0-1703093872991.png

I'll leave some documentation for the feature below if you want to see it in action:

- Remove Associations Automatically Using Labels 

Let me know if you have any questions!

Best,

-David Staat

0 Upvotes
jjones41
Contributor

SOLVE

I needed something similar and drafted a very simple API script to accomplish this via a custom code action on a workflow. Basically, you create a triggerless workflow with only a single, custom code action. Any time you need to remove all the associated contacts from a company, you open the workflow and enroll the company. This does NOT consider association labels. It simply removes all associations. In my case, I needed to remove the company's association to hundreds of contacts and keep only three, so I removed them all with a click or two and then manually added back the three associations I needed.

One benefit of this is it saves all history on the company and contact records as it doesn't require any record deletion. 

You can find the code and a brief readme on how to use it here. Very simple. Hope it helps.

0 Upvotes
ManuelI
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @jmik,

I ran into the same problem and solved it with the API call you can find here, under "Delete Specific Labels":

https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/api/crm/associations

I basically extracted all the Id-pairs (from object Id, to object id) and then made the call to the API to remove the label. I had 2.6 k cases of labels that needed to be removed and that saved me a lot of time 🙂 

Hope that helps.  

0 Upvotes
DianaGomez
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @ManuelI hope you are doing well!

Thanks for sharing 🙂

Best,

Diana

¿Sabías que la Comunidad está disponible en Español?
¡Participa hoy en conversaciones en el idioma de tu preferencia,cambiando el idioma en tus configuraciones!

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes
MWeddup
Participant

SOLVE

I know this is an old topic, but having run into the same sort of problem, the ability to bulk delete the associations by type e.g "deal_to_contact" or just being able to make an API Batch command to delete more than 1 association at a time would be a really nice change to the API 

0 Upvotes
DianaGomez
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @MWeddup hope you are doing well!

Since this is an old thread I encourage you to create a new conversation, this way it will be seen by more users 🙂 please make sure to add context, screenshots if possible and all the details you can.

Best,

Diana

¿Sabías que la Comunidad está disponible en Español?
¡Participa hoy en conversaciones en el idioma de tu preferencia,cambiando el idioma en tus configuraciones!

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

HelenTansley
Participant

SOLVE

The only issue with deleting the company is that you would loose any history. We have a similar problem but not all contacts associated to the company are wrong. The only "quick" way i have found is having list of contacts on one screen and then on another screen navigating to the company record and bulk removing the association

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @JMurtagh,

I'm not aware of any special features to accomplish this, unfortunately. Depending on how many associations this is about, your options would either be manually removing them via the record association sidebar (and sacrificing some time on this dull task) or potentially even deleting the company record before re-creating it, fresh, without assocations. In that case you would however lose any information specific to the company record.

(As you can see here, bulk association options are limited, too.)

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

JMurtagh
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Karsten, 

Many thanks for your quick reply. There are over 1,600 people to remove so would be very time-consuming. I think you are right that the best way forward would be to remove the company completely and start from fresh. Is there an easy way to do this? I'm new to Hubspot so am still trying to figure everything out. 

Many thanks! 🙂 

J

karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @JMurtagh,

You would simply search and delete the company from the company index page (Menu > Contacts > Companies). From that same screen, you can then create a new company record and associate with the correct contacts.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler

JMurtagh
Participant

SOLVE

Many thanks! Have a lovely day. 

Jess

karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Thanks, you too!

Karsten Köhler